Saturday, July 16, 2016

Triathlon

I'm here in Canada on my own this year, for the first 6 weeks, so I figured I needed to sign up for something that would keep me busy and hopefully keep my fitness levels up a little more than in past years...so I joined a triathlon group.  I think I've said this before...but whatever.

I'm now swimming three times a week, and the coach is excellent, I am improving SO much it is unreal.  I can even do bilateral breathing!!!!  It has been interesting working my way through the different things he wants me to try, and it is neat feeling myself improving.

The cycling has been less successful.  Man triathletes like going round and round in circles.  That doesn't bug me so much in the pool (few other options!) or even the open water swims...hard to coach us if we're swimming off to Niagara.....

But on a bike?  Really?  round and round in laps?  BORING!!!!! OMG, I went to one, and we went round and round and round.....I went to a second one, and they wanted to go and play in traffic, so I bailed out on that and went and did my own thing, and it was glorious....

I signed up for a ride this morning, but it was up north and they just went round a big rectangle of streets....I mean, is there nothing more?

I know the idea is training, and drills and all that, but really? 

They have a running training as well, but it is mostly sprints and hill work, and I don't think I am good enough to try, and I really hate running on the road...give me a trail any day and I'm a pretty happy panda, but ask me to run along a road or a sidewalk?  blea....

So, they keep asking if I'll do a tri, I think no.....I just can't face the run.

We'll see...the real goal is to keep on getting some exercise, and I am doing that.

4 comments:

elPadawan said...

who knows, maybe by the end of your time there you'll actually want to do one :D

J.G. said...

Agreed - it will be interesting to see if you change your mind with time, and perhaps the group mentality?

Sounds like the exercising part is going splendidly, though.

oreneta said...

Well, you folks were correct, I did do a mini tri and I am considering a sprint distance one as well. We'll see. I won't have time to train over the winter, though it would be nice to be able to keep up the swimming.

Pressure Cooking Recipes said...

Hello mate grreat blog