Sunday, October 16, 2011

The man didn't quite get shot

This post, I find, I have been putting off.

You'll see why.

I'll start us off by saying that everyone is fine.

The man went off on Wednesday morning to walk the dog.  Here Wednesday was an official holiday and therefore (damnit) a legal hunting day.  I am starting to hate hunters on a personal level I may add.

Anyway, he and Chuck went off, Chuck sporting a bell and the man a bright red Habs t-shirt.

He got up into the hills, about 10 meters from a finca (a cross between a cottage and a very small farm), the dog had been let off leash just a minute or so before, when a gun goes off really really really close to him and then he is hit in the back by either some dirt or a shot (bird shot I should add). Doesn't hurt him, just like its been thrown at him hard.

Not happy.

A certain amount of obscenities ring out from my darling husband - and I have to say that I heard the shot from in the house and it was FREAKING CLOSE to the village.

He stood still and silent for a loooooooooooooong time hoping that the guy would move so he could beat him senseless talk to him, but (no surprise) the guy was pretty motivated to stay vewy vewy still.

Went to the police when he got home, as suspected, it is illegal to hunt within 500 meters - that's half a kilometer as a wee reminder- of any building or house, and (duh) you can't shoot across a road.  Both of these were violated.

The cops couldn't do anything really, the guy would have taken off and certainly wasn't going to confess to it....they did, at our request do some patrols of the area so the guy might see that we had gone to the cops, but really, there was nothing we could do.

Some people, you know?  You really have to wonder.

So there's the story.  Can you see why I kinda didn't want to tell it?

9 comments:

Sherry said...

On a light hearted note...maybe the guy wasn't a Habs fan???

But on a very serious note...that is damn scary and it makes you shake your head in wonder at the stupidity of people...which never ceases to amaze.

Hopefully the fact that you went to the police who came to investigate will be noticed by this idiot...and please, do stay safe!! What's next, protective armour when you go out to walk the dog???

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy scary! I hope they catch the shooter. My parents have a lot of people coming to ask to hunt on their property and it always makes me so nervous.

Anonymous said...

That's very serious. I'm not so fond of hunting myself. Good thing you went to the cops, the patrol probably will serve as a "gentle reminder" for some time...

Beth said...

Yeah, that was a scary story. Close call.
Hunting season is the reason going to the cottage in the fall is not something I do every weekend – although it’s a beautiful time of year to be there. But when you’re leery of even going for a walk...no matter how bright and visible your clothes...

thecatalanway said...

That is not a good experience for any of you - really glad it wasn't serious in the end but it must make you more wary of the hills. I hate all the hunting that goes on in Catalunya - but at least I imagined they were professional and careful. Now I will be more cautious. On a lighter note when I first saw the signs about Area de caçar I thought it meant Area de Caca - shitting place for walker! How stupid is that? K xx

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Ay yay yay. Did I get the intonation on that alright? I was trying to sound like an old lady. Thank HEAVENS the man is alright and thank heavens you prefaced your post by that. But HOLY MACKEREL. Sounds like a bit of a Ho Joe out there with a gun ESPECIALLY since the man had a bright shirt on (Go Habs GO!, but I digress and am certainly not a hockey fan lately with the amount of intended personal violence accepted in an, "ahem" game). You must be on pins and needles now, good thing you have the utterly peaceful face of Chuck to meditate on to calm you down.

MaR said...

Truly scary...I think I'll keep the wild boars in our neighborhood instead of hunters...

Boo and Trev said...

Blimey! I remember Matt saying that in their area the mushroom season is the same time as the hunting season and every year mushroom pickers get seriously ill or die from eating the wrong mushrooms or being shot! I think Sue actually wears a high visibility jacket at this time of year. Scarey stuff - glad he's OK

Helen said...

Good lord! Actually thank the lord he is ok. And Chuck