Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Hi ho, caught me on a down day, Aug 05

Life is OK, X and I are both feeling rather tired of the work schtick, blah, tired of getting up in the morning, tired of dressing up for work, tired of working through lunch every day to get it all done because I have to get the kids from camp. Blech. Anyway, it’s all OK, mostly it’s good, I was up too late last night which is probably why I’m feeling flat. A good night’s sleep will see me through a lot. Life is basically good, saving up lots of pennies which is grand, and I am enjoying stretching my brain a bit more, lots of great books to read, and arguments to teach. That has been great, I didn’t feel it after our first years sailing, we were on such a steep part of the learning curve, but last year was easier, which was fantastic, but I am noticing that I didn’t feel as challenged. I like the steep part of the learning curve and the challenge that goes with it. So that has been interesting and invigorating. Mostly I miss the boat, close on 2 hrs driving per day to get to work. Grrrrrr. We still aren’t sure what we are going to be doing this fall. We have been offered the possibility of working in Spain, again, and it looks as though the papers may appear, we’ll have to wait and see. If not, we will be back down in Florida in Oct or maybe Nov, depends a bit on how hurricane season shapes up.The possibility of going to Spainn, where I would not be working full time, and I would have good computer access, along with my promotion to teacher trainer, has made me toy with the idea of academic graduate degrees. I actually had very nearly completed a masters at the local outfit, but they have now decided that since it has been so long, instead of the 8 out of 10 credits that I had, I can use 1. This had led to thinking about alternative plans at other Universities. Lesley college in Boston is one that has come up, and since I have to start from scratch, I am even considering a Ph.D. program. HMMMMMMM X seems to think it is tenable, we’ll have to see. My folks think I should get an MBA, they would, but I can’t picture it somehow, and they are a dime a dozen at this point, and I am not at all sure it will lead in a direction I want to go. That will take some serious convincing. Blurgh.
Reading a new book right now, “Reading Lolita in Tehran” have you ever read it? I’ve just started, but it’s pretty good. The other one I am enjoying is Sacred Balance, by David Suzuki, this is an awesome book. I don’t know if you have heard of him, but he is one of the great and big names in the environmental movement in Canada, a genetecist by training no less. He is worth reading, despite his advanced science background. On a more domestic note, the girls are both looking forward to going to school, I’m a little suprised as they have been in camp all summer where I work, and they are getting kind of done with it. My sister is flying into town next weekend, she lives in Poland with her family. I haven’t seen her in a year and a half, and she is bringing along her three year old, and also her one year old who we have never met. Should be fun.

No comments: