Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The economy

I read today about a brilliant idea that congress has to pass legislation to shut down any internet site that hosts copyrighted material.  Nice.

The US apparently really does want to re-enter the dark ages.  Creationist, the tea party, Palin, economic self-destruction and this display of truly and overwhelmingly antiquated ideology.  Hmmm, some folks criticize China around it's internet policy, no?  Wonder how much the congressmen and women were paid for this?

You hear people going on and on and on about the economy.  About how the majority of these problems have been brought about by a few handfuls of men.  Hmmm, seems none of them need prosecution.  Yet, you know, when my daughter tells me that here, in this village, in her school, there is a family trying to get by on 27 Euros a month after they pay for rent, I wonder why that is.

When my own children are affected by this economic downturn - nice euphemism for an almighty fuck up, no -  it makes me angry.

When I go by occupy London, and it is so pathetic, I am saddened.  Honestly, there is hypocrisy there, I too should be out occupying Barcelona, because if we all did, maybe they'd listen.  Or not.

But I have to make a living.  I don't have the ability to go out and sit in a square and not earn anything.  I have to work.  So what's to do?

The news media can be so inflammatory, to the point of creating difficulties...I read a piece today where they stated that many southern Europeans are withdrawing their money from local banks, as in Spanish, Italian etc...banks and investing further north.  Can this help?  Is this true?  Is it another case of the rich (oh I sound SO Marxist) getting their money out and safe and the rest are left to swing?

Feeling a mite bitter this evening and more than a little worried.

Why have there been no trials about the hacking in the UK?  Why have none of these financial types been brought to court outside of Iceland?  Why can the entertainment industry buy congress to pass a bill that is so completely unenforceable and ridiculous when something meaningful really should be done?

You don't know what to think....is this just another recession and things will pick up as they always do?  You know that economic theory about things going in cycles; or is this a sign of a busted system.  A system invested in the near future with no vision for further along, a system where petty crime is vigorously prosecuted, but the crime of creating global want is just fine?

Shouldn't there be some kind of international economic crimes tribunal?  I'd pay tax dollars for that.

6 comments:

J.G. said...

Oh dear, where to start? I think a lot of U.S. developments are based on fear and a kind of regressive (not to mention false) idea that returning to an idyllic "simpler time" will make everything better.

And it's a heck of a lot easier to pursue silly miniscule causes than to grapple with real problems that require subtle, multifaceted solutions.

I think we are headed for social change in a big way, and the only question is whether we are going to get out in front and choose what happens, or continue to do nothing effective and have to live with what we get when it comes.

Ugh! Now you've got me going . . .

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Where would they start?! Is there a site/blog etc. that doesn't have some kind of copyright material? Is just mentioning a book title included in the ban? These are strange times, indeed.

Beth said...

I’m an avid reader of the news and some days (most days) I despair. The Occupy movement has failed to achieve its purpose (have they “disturbed” the big money institutions?)....people taking their money out of economically fragile countries will just make thing worse...dictators admonishing other dictators...the world is not right.
I too would be happy to put my tax dollars toward an economic crimes tribunal – but it ain’t gonna happen...

Anonymous said...

I've read that in places like Toronto, New York, Paris, the Occupy movements are being evicted from their occupation places, for one reason or the other. Even though it's a peaceful protest. I suppose they at least achieved annoying the people they were protesting against. That's a start... Means there's a tiny flicker of hope that it's possible to reach out to them in some way...

American in Bath said...

And so I find myself trying to choose where to next when my UK visa runs out. Is there a place where none of this is true?

oreneta said...

It is something that causes me despair when I think of it. When eldest turns to me and says that she anticipates being the first generation in many years that will be worse off than their parents, I despair.

Then there's climate change, which has been almost forgotten in the economic meltdown....

Here's a link to some more info about the internet crap for anyone interested. Someone outside the internet opens a new email service and blog service and I'll be there.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/11/17/what-is-the-sopa-bill-and-why-is-it-causing-such-a-ruckus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+80beats+%2880beats%29