Saturday, April 13, 2019

Calling it out

I think that I don't generally stand for a lot of shit, but as I'm getting older, I think I can stand less.  Especially with what is going on now in politics in so many places.  I've always called things out amongst people I'm comfortable with but I'm just not putting up with it with anyone anymore.  That's not to say I'm going to call people racists or mysoginists or ignorant, though I may be thinking it, but I'm not going to let anything go by me anymore.  Just not.  We need to start these conversations.  There's a fair amount of sexism in Catalunya, even from men who just don't see it otherwise and some of it you have to live with, causenthey aren't *saying* anything specific, but it's there. But sometimes you've got to just call it out.  Happened with a mountain guide one day.  He denied it and said I hadn't understood.  (prick, my Catalan is just fine}.  D with her perfect accentless Catalan backed me up.  All my (male) friends, D and I were the only women in the course, stood by and said nothing.  D:s boyfriend E however, backed us up.  I like that guy, way to be an ally.  One of the group members sided with the guide.... Throw you under the bus chickies foreigners and 'yoots' (ass). 

You also get routine thoughtless homophoboc slurs.  Called them out every time. And there was change, at least in front of me.

Now with politics, post something on fb? I'll ask you about it.  I'll be really nice, but I'm gonna ask.

Here in the Netherlands we've heard a stunning number of racist comments from the few Dutch people we've spoken too.  I'm not letting it go by.  Though I do try and reframe.  The chinesene are not 'stupid' cause they don't understand you and cause they want to do things in groups, immigrants who haven't learned the language aren't stubborn, it's alot harder to learn Dutch if you come from Indonesia (different script anyone?) than it is for a
 Dutch person to learn German.  They're very very similar languages.

So.  I'm just not letting shit slide by anymore, and know what? I've had some cool conversations as a result too. 

Done.


No comments: