Sunday, April 14, 2019

I always want to have a goofy dog

Walking Chuck today made me remember words of wisdom from a woman I used to know.  She told me that when they get a dog, they always want a goofy dog.  Chuck and I were out happily walking along a new trail we'd found and a guy turned up with his gigantic Rottweiler off leash.  The thing was huge.  I have to say, it was fine, though I had no interest in interacting with it.  It was bloody scary and the dufus threw his ball forwards towards us.  Nothing like a Rottweiler that weighs as much as I do coming full bore towards me.  I told the dog to fuck off.  He did, in his defense.

The other thing is though that Chuck got attacked twice in Weesp, once with a bite litterally on his eyelid.  He's nearly 15, deaf, his eyesight is fading, he limps on this leg then that leg, but he's still doing really well.  But he's getting to that elderly stage where one 'fall' can be a tipping point.  And they basically won't operate on dogs his age cause they can't handle the anaesthetics so if he gets badly beat up, that might be the end of the road.  And it doesn't need to happen. We're walkig probably 10k a day and he's adjusting to being deaf and he's doing great.  So keep your bloody Rottweiler away from me.

Bottom line though, I never want to have a dog that makes everyone afraid, that I cannot let off leash without enduring the rage of everyone around me, however well trained the dog may be.

And also, it's a dog.  I don't care how well it's trained.  You never know. 

No comments: