Thursday, December 21, 2006

Food, ballet and seaglass

Way back on Nov 25th, I posted about sea glass, and I metioned that a friend of mine makes jewelery from the glass I send her. The good news is, and the reason for this oh so obvious plug, is that her web site is up and running, and she has some glorious stuff. Ok, yah yah yah, pluggin stuff on the blog, probably against some obscure blogger code of ethics, but the stuff is lovely, and she's a good friend and I even find some of the glass for her...

On another note, I may have to rename this blog to something like "Oreneta the blimp feasts in....", or "Oreneta's aground because today she ate..." Today's menu included pierogies fried in GOBS of butter, and get this, well, I have to describe it not just name it. Take a round of camembert cheese, then bread it lightly and deep fry it till it is warm/hot and gooey on the inside and crispy outside. Serve with a tart jam.................oh oh oh oh oh. This was before the ballet (more later). After it we had pizza, 5 types, including one with capers! YUMMY, and lasagna. I have eaten enough calories tonight to keep a fair size village going for a week. burp

Having mentioned the ballet, I might as well continue on the topic. The parents, my sister and brother-in-law, the two girls and I went to see The Nutcracker performed by the Polish National Ballet. It was absolutely spectacular. The costumes were bright and beautiful and alive and lively, brilliant colours and sparkles and sequins everywhere. The choreography was very funny. There were two characters, mice, a male and female that were the peanut gallery come to life. With slight differences in costume they mischeviously joined in the dances, stole from the characters and generally made gleeful fun. The female mouse particularily seemed delighted by the whole thing. Most of the dancers had that "I am dancing BALLET on stage" smile, but the female mouse had the most gleeful and spontaneously delighted grin on through the entire show, like she had died and gone to heaven and things were much better than she had expected.

They had lovely little jokes throughout, and side plays with the "children" in some of the scenes being as typically childlike and irreverent as you would expect. There was a scene with a doll that Clara gets, they lift her leg up and down and all around like a Barbie doll does, and it looked so funny because only highly trained freaks of nature like professional ballerinas can do those sorts of moves, and it looked amazing.

They also had an exhibit on of a bunch of costumes, primarily from the opera, and they were amazing. Some of them were suprisingly doable for a near neo-phite sewer like me. Some were not. My sister was there with her phone-that-takes-pictures, so when I get her to download some to me, I will post them... amazing.

Otherwise I went to the mall, not a smily people here in my short experience, and the produce in the stores was stunningly bad. You see better in the discard bin in North America, and in Spain, you wouldn't see it at all. Like they never pick it over, and just leave it there getting older and older. I saw fruit with actual mold growing on it. Visible from several feet. Bleach.
That said, there was a little stall outside with a wood oven next to it where they were baking the bread, right there beside the parking lot. Bought some and it was AWESOME. A bit different than the hot dog stands outside Home Despot. Though those dogs can be good if you don't think about what's in them...

When oh when will I post without talking about food. Probably when I get back home and I am eating my own cooking again all the time. *sigh*

5 comments:

Beth said...

Okay, this time I was already into the Christmas goodies before reading your post but still...now I want more. And I want the kind of stuff you're eating, not my cooking.
"Oreneta's aground" - that gave me a laugh (with my mouth full).
Have bookmarked your friend's site. Too bad it wasn't up in time for Christmas shopping.

kate said...

Hmm, I picked up some beach glass at the Barceloneta when we were ther. I bet you'ce got a much more impressive collection, though. I'll check out your friend's site!

Boo and Trev said...

It's fine to talk about food now, as everywhere I look there's something to eat. Must be Christmas. But after new Year....

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I love your blog. I came here via Nomad.

oreneta said...

Beth: Hope you didn't choke. Today was a little more subdued, but maybe I'll note a bit for your sake...I should keep a tally of my weight day by day as it goes...

Kate: I don't know if it is just me, but I find it a lot of fun to hunt for sea-glass, like those easter egg hunts we're too old for now.

Boo and Trev: Hi ho, what are you having for Christmas dinner, the sister and I are cookiing so wish us the best, it should be an adventure..

Sarah: Glad you found it, and I'm glad you like it. Nomad's sight is great isn't it.