Sunday, April 29, 2007

Snail racing!

This afternoon, after recovery time at home, we were off to a children's spectacle...I translate directly. This was a one man clown show. He was a singularly awful juggler, especially considering that this is a grown man making a living at it, although he is quite good at riding a unicycle, and the kids had a good laugh. So did I. The man went up to the opening of the museum after this, we passed and waited for the big event of the afternoon, the CORSE DE CARGOLLS!!!!

A snail race! I asked why they were doing this, I was told that it was because someone thought of it, because it's funny and it's unique...it certainly is.

This is the race course, one lane with high sides for each. I never figured out why there is such a large gap in the middle, except maybe to try to accommodate the 'owners' of the snails.


The competitors arrive.....not much of a team bus for these guys-gals:


Snail, meet your manager..


Now, we need a good show name for you, a marketable one.......hmmm......King Kong...



They're in the starting blocks....

This event draws a pretty reasonable crowd. Not quite like the Castellers, but still....


Here's some nice lettuce....King Kong won in the end.



After all this excitement which I will admit we abandoned half way through and went to the art exhibit put on in the Cultural center. The show consisted of the work of local artist, and the quality was, well, uneven. It was interesting anyway.

We headed towards home after this, and were debating going up to the museum when the youngest realised that Barca was playing in the local bar, so instead she and I went to the bar and watched part of the game. I had a coffee to pay for the seat and Barca was up 1-0 when we left....

It was a pretty good game too, although it isn't hard to overstretch my understanding of the rules...why do they sometimes get a penalty kick, others a card, and others time added on to the half?????

Hmm.

4 comments:

Angel said...

snail racing? wow. when I lived with my Dad in California, we had snails in our yard...lots of them, and I played with them all the time. Never thought of racing them tho.

oreneta said...

Beth: The kids did lots of crab races on the beach, they go rather faster....

Beth said...

I'm counting this as some much needed "quiet time" amidst your hectic days.

oreneta said...

Beth: Got it in one.