Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hiking




We went on a five and a half hour walk with the dog today...the things you can do when the kids are away...

I so loved it, it was such a perfect day, not too hot, not too cold, sunny, and there was a beautiful little town at the turnaround.




See that house up there? I want it. My Mom has a long history of buying run down places and fixing them up. I seem to have inherited it, though if you could see the view, and the property...

Ah well.



This is taken through an [almost] bricked up doorway, amazing eh?

The dog has slept a lot this afternoon.

One of the things I love about hiking in Europe is that at your turn around, or somewhere on the route you'll go by a little village where you can get some coffee and a snack. We got bread, coffee, bunyols, which are sort of like deep fried sugared tim-bits if you can imagine that, and I went into a local seven-eleven kind of job, I had the option of foie gras, caviar or truffles!!! I went for a paté. I was tempted by the foie gras, but didn't want to carry the jar for two and a half hours, and couldn't bring myself to throw the rest out.

One of the things I love about hiking in Canada is that you never come across a little place to have coffee, unless you've packed it in, and you find somewhere to set up your camp stove.

p.s. the spell checker knew neither timbits, nor foie gras. Hee hee.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Timbits should be in every spell checker...

Sounds like a great walk. 5 1/2 hours is a loooooong walk. I've done a couple all at one time. Seems it would take me a couple of hours just to get to some place to stop and have a coffee. Love the stone houses. Too bad there aren't more of them here. Maybe it is too cold here? Don't know why.

Beth said...

A five and a half hour walk?!! Wow. Hope that amount of time included the break.
I love how you love the different kinds of hiking in each country.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great and tiring day. I think the place is gorgeous. It would be very interesting hiking in Europe. When I go cycling with friends in the summer I like to ride to a place for coffee then ride back.

elPadawan said...

and *I* think foie gras should be in every spellchecker. (you can read this comment with my french accent, picturing a moustache and a baguette if need be). :D

I love hikes because you never see boring tourists in them. Whenever you cross someone, especially if it's a tough hike, you'll for sure have come across with a fellow hiker, nature-lover, that would smile back/wave back/greet back or even chitchat back.

oreneta said...

Sirdar, it was a lovely walk....and hte stone houses, I imagine it depends on where you are...you need lots of stones! Plus the cold...here they were very worried about invasions...and had a lot of stones.


Beth, no there was a half hour break in the middle, when we didn't eat foie gras...

Dawn, honestly...it is interesting.

elPadawan, read as such..with a giggle! It is true, you meet different folks when your hiking...though we didn't see many folks at all in fact!

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Sounds divine..simply divine. I so hope the weather gets better here soon so we can enjoy the great outdoors.