Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Adults, jellyfish, and OUCH.



Went to the beach again, hunting sea glass...look at this jelly fish...



I asked the kids what defines an adult. The little one said, "They're bossy."

The elder: someone who has gone through puberty, has a job and can live by themselves. They are also able to make a decision and carry them out without anyone stopping them, and being able to make decisions about other people. They can cook, and use all the kitchen utensils, they pay taxes, and have lots of responsibilities...

I think Boo's comment is telling. You start to feel like an adult when your parents become dependent or die. A friend's mother said to me, "It doesn't matter how old you are, when your parents die, you feel like an orphan." I hadn't thought of that aspect of your parent's death. Making you feel finally like an adult. My folks are currently touring China, so there is not much risk of me experiencing this for a while...thankfully. I had supposed the sorrow, and dismay, and and and, but not the sense that you are now an adult, not someone's child.

Something to continue to ponder.


It seems to me, however, that it should not include skinned knees. Seems only fair.



Hmmm.



Haven't achieved that either, I skinned my knee, tore a hole in the husband's jeans, d*mn it, skinned my entire forearm, and a few scrapes on hips and such. Of course, this being a small town, someone I knew drove by while I was getting up off the ground. Couldn't do a thing like that in privacy. No way. I had the camera out, which is part of why I got wounded, I was mostly focused, as I fell, on not toasting the freaking expensive camera...it's fine. I'll heal. The man's jeans? Well let's say I look very modern and fashionable. And my cuts sting.





Am I the only one who manages to hurt themselves in such geeky ways? I got six stitches in my thumb last year, I cut myself washing the dishes. Nothing exciting. Washing a mug.



Geek



I also want to point out that it is bloody difficult to take a picture of your own elbow, or knee as this rather fuzzy picture will attest.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

OOOOOWWW! That hurts just looking at it. Unfortunately, as I'm a naturally curious human being, I will keep looking at it.

Boo and Trev said...

Good Heavens! This post is like the British Medical Journal for gory pictures. Apparently, the Med is going to have a plague of jellyfish this summer. I think it's to do with over fishing.

Angel said...

dang!! You got jacked up!

but you do have cute knees! ;)

oreneta said...

DD: Enjoy, at least someone can get some interest from it.

Boo and Trev: Really? DOn't tell our guests...are they stinging ones?

Beth: Thank you, my cute knees needed the boost...right now it is colourful and bandaged. Blech