Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Rain, gegants and cleaning

It rained.


There was no parade. Oh well. There was however a breakfast for the gegant clubs which we went to. Unfortunately we couldn't eat, as we aren't part of the club, maybe we should join next year. In fact I think I will...there is also a choir here I wouldn't mind joining. Not that I am a brilliant singer, but then in most choirs you don't need to be.

So we went up to the local gymnasium and saw some more gegants ....unfortunately many towns hadn't brought theirs because of the rain, but here's some photos of what we saw.....

These two seem pretty funny to me, you may notice that her nipple is showing, that is pretty normal, sometimes they have both breasts open as well. I am not sure why, but going topless here is much more acceptable so it isn't as big a deal as N. Am.'s tend to think.



These two look medieval to me...


Greek Athena smaller than the Roman type? Or maybe she is a Valkyrie?


I think he is supposed to be a typical Catalan peasant...



Now you would think that after the weekend that we have been having we would have settled down and relaxed, but NO!

The house had gotten to the level of squalor where children's aid may take the kids....we sweep up regularly and all, but that deeper down dirt doesn't get touched. Until today.

We emptied the cupboards and sorted and cleaned and moved the beds and swept and mopped, the man cleaned every drawer and cupboard and nook and cranny in the kitchen...I got down on my hands and knees with a bucket and a rag and did the bathroom....really the best way I have ever found to get it COMPLETELY clean. I was disgusted by the joint, as was the man, and with this suddenly free rainy day it was the perfect moment...no one likes to do it, but I'll be damned if I am doing it alone, so we all pitched in and it is MUCH better. Perfect? NO. Much better and that's good enough for me.

It is now 4:25, I am going to make the kids cocoa and popcorn when the floor dries, then the man is going to walk the dog and I will take the children to the kids show that is on at 5:00, his choice, then there is a soccer match at 6pm, followed by dinner, put the kids to bed, and then we have to do our taxes. I know we're late, but with telephone banking we can pay them instantly and they don't really mind when the form gets there, it is just the cash. We will sleep the sleep of the virtuous as well as the partied out tonight.

Tomorrow, work and school and tons of grocery shopping...

Maybe we'll rest on Thursday night....

4 comments:

Beth said...

Okay, I still find these gegants scary looking.
And a gegant club? No way for me. (As if I have a choice.)
Enjoy if you join. Would you be wearing one of these things?

Joanne Vive la Fr said...

I am totally jealous - it all sounds fabulous.
but - what is the occassion? I am confused - why all of these festivities just now?
Here it is labour day - on which you obviously do not work - so holidays - hoorah!

oreneta said...

Beth: What is scary, I can't see it...there was a pair that were a mouse and a cat getting married, but I managed to blur that photo...

Joanne: It was a LOT of fun, some religious thing was the excuse.

Beth said...

I know it's weird to find them scary - but this is coming from somone who, as a child, found marionettes scary. (And I still do.)
Some childhood trauma?