Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Futbol, the last Festa Major report. Wow.

The final post from Festa Major...and I forgot to take the camera...can you believe it, and there was so much that was so photograph worthy...

Ah well,

The afternoon concert for the kids, which I did have a camera for, but there was nothing worth photographing. It was really aimed at much younger kids, and we left after about 15 min. It was a Catalan Wiggles...and just not our speed, so then we were off to the 'futbol' match between our town and somewhere else, I don't know which town, nor where it is...but they badly outplayed us.

The youngest was very excited about this and the man and I trotted off with her, eldest declining this opportunity...we stopped at the little fira that has been going on, a miniature amusement park, you know those kinda scuzzy things they set up in the parking lot of malls...we hadn't gone to it, it was expensive and they are usually dreary, and it is not exactly a great cultural novelty....but we saw someone walking down the street with churros...here I regret not having the camera...they are deep fried white flour sprinkled with sugar...no picture...fortunately though,
Kate at Expat Mama posted about them here complete with a picture....

The first time the girls and I had these, we were all walking down a street in the Barri Gothic in BCN early on, when upon strolling past a store selling them neurons fired madly in the man's head...he remembered them! There is little that he remembers from Spain since he left when he was so young, but these...we bought some and they are as good as they seem. We find them fairly irresistible, especially with the family associations.

Off we went to the 'futbol' match, an exhibition game, it was fun, we lost, the view of the see was SPECTACULAR...again no camera, and it was probably the clearest day we have ever seen here....Ah well, we will go to another game at some point, and I will grab some snaps then.

That, my friends, was the last official event of the Festa Major...I failed to mention that it is in fact a religious event during which the saintly relics get an airing, I am frankly not sure why, but we think the Bishop may have even turned up for some of it...and we all get a four day weekend. The church bells have been ringing for a full 5 minutes now, which probably signals the official end of the event.

We, however, were not ready to let the party stop, and so we went out to dinner at the local bar...having cleaned all day, and partied for DAYS, and still facing our taxes, why not.

The little one's day was complete when they started up the Liverpool - Chelsie match. Though we didn't get to finish it. A surprising level of indifference to the game amongst the locals. I guess it just isn't the same unless it's Barca playing.

Here's a view of the moon coming up over the sea from our terrace just as the church bells stopped ringing....I like how you can see the moonlight on the water. We once worked our way through a tricky bit of navigation by sailing up the moonbeam's path.



Back to real life tomorrow...

hmmmmm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a sucker for moolight...that picture *sigh*

But navigating at night? Oh my...not me. I'd like to gaze at the moon from terra firma

Unknown said...

That is a wonderful picture. I love a full moon at night. Maybe that's because I'm part werewolf.

Angel said...

I love me some moonlight too...

I think your youngest is destined to be a "futbol" player!

Beth said...

I am experiencing this whole festival vicariously - and I'm exhausted...

(Too bad I don't get to taste the food...)