Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Ants, grammar and food......


I just noticed that yesterday's post was number 200...hmmm, that's a lot.

Blah blah blah blah blah, eh?

The lovely Catalan lady came over and helped me with grammar yesterday, and the pronouns are even more complicated than I wrote yesterday. A good deal more complicated, but the good thing is that I understand them better, clearly...now I am down to the memorisation stage, but at least I largely understand what to memorise which is frankly a big step forward....

I was up late last night working on it, and came up with some further questions. I debated waking the man up, but thought that it would be cruel and unusual to wake someone from a sound sleep and force them to think about grammar rules. More like a nightmare. I asked one of the teachers at the language school, and she could sort of answer me, but, like most native speakers of any language, she doesn't know her own grammatical rules well, and floundered before giving me a half answer....I'll think about it and ask again.

I walked the dog in the afternoon yesterday up in the hills again, gosh I love it up there....





I saw that egg up there as well, I have no idea what kind of bird it is, obviously we need a book....

While I was up there I sat on a lovely shady rock with a view of the sea, it was cool, there was a breeze, Chuck was sitting next to me...I looked down and saw a couple of ants. Really really big ants. Hmm I thought, ants.

I looked around at the view for a while...can you see where this is going?

Hmmmm, I thought, there is something itching my side....and my back....

I looked down and there were HUNDREDS of Really Biggggggg Ants...Hundreds.

Well, I stood up fairly fast and ran down the hill a bit, still kinda itchy inside my shirt. Whipped that sucker off pretty darn fast. The girls would have been SO embarrassed, but no way was I doing anything else. I shook it out pretty thoroughly, whipped it over my back a few times, and got dressed again. Chuck is looking at me, kinda perplexed and made a few half-hearted attempts at starting a game with my shirt. These were firmly discouraged.

Ok, all's well...about 3 minutes later I see something moving on my hat brim...you guessed it. Hat off, head upside down being shaken out, um, rather ahhh vigorously.... That cleared the last ones out. Sheesh.

Got a little treat at lunch today...



Yup, that is a chocolate dipped croissant. How good is that. The only thing they could add would be a chocolate filling as well, that would be decadent to the point of nausea.

One of the women at work lent us a tape of the multiplication tables being sung in Catalan...I'm getting good at them. The kids may not know them in English eventually, although they are better at them in English still....it's a pretty cool tape. "quatre per quatre, setze...."

4 comments:

Beth said...

Attacked by killer ants...hmmm.
I thought my ant problem was gone - they re-appeared last night.
(Beth in attack mode clutching a trusty paper towel as her weapon of choice...)

I want a chocolate dipped croissant. (Can you "hear" the whine in my voice?)

Anonymous said...

Oh God!.....ANTS? I have a thing for ants and it's not good. I even hate when the National Geographic comes and there is a story of some rainforest stinging/biting/giant army ants. GAAAA

I lived in Sweden for a year when I was 11 and we had an infestation of red ants and they chose MY ROOM to nest in. I went in one day and they were crawling along their little "highway" right over my bed.

The exterminators came and got rid of them but it was months before I went into my room again.

Thanks for the memory *twitch*

Jocelyn said...

Oh, you're going to have to stop with the pastry photos. My weakness! The pastries, not the photos ('tho they're very good).

I'm an English teacher, so it's my life's work to wake up sleeping people and drill them about grammar rules.

oreneta said...

Beth: I always like to use the whole roll of paper towels, like a bludgeon. They fit in your hand better if it's half used though...

Trish: I am so sorry...I was feeling bad I didn't have the wherwithall to get a photo of the swarm before I hightailed it out of there....maybe it was for the better, eh?

Jocelyn: I may pose you a grammatical question now and then too....they pastries were very good...maybe just for you I will do a photo backery crawl....