Monday, October 8, 2007

Storm clouds and mysteries

Oh my goodness gracious, I have no idea what happened. I posted yesterday, undoubtedly my wittiest and most undeniably hilarious and entrancing post, and it is gone. I looked in today...nada, nothing, res....

Que passa?

Anywhooooo....

Today a front went through complete with rain, thunder lightning, spectacular dark clouds, and dropping temperatures, but as an added bonus we got a lovely rainbow, and the most extravagant display of clouds at sunset...here's a few pics.....


I swear on all that I hold dear or sacred, I have not photo shopped these or altered them in anyway...it really was the most over the top display.....

I love these fractal clouds.



The rainbow, one of my students told me that in a neighbouring town it was a double rainbow...



The angels are mooning us.



Was this painted on black velvet or did it really happen? It looks like the cover from one of those badly written sci-fi novels....but it really looked like this. the clouds were low too so it was quite in our faces.





I just thought I would throw him or her in, we saw him or her on our walk today, I've never seen a brown one, and I had to make up for the green one I didn't have the camera for before.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your storm moved north at a fast clip and hit Riga this morning.
Very glad I had to take the garbage out a half an hour ago - yes, they still have the old system, implemented in the early 90s, of queuing with your bag until the truck arrives and throwing it in yourself. Usually it arrives right on time and sticks around for a few minutes, expect when I'm late, of course - if you're on good terms with the concierge she'll let you leave it for her to do the heaving but you can't bring it down before the official arrival time.An impossible situation when practically everyone in the building is off to work by 7:30am!!!
It is now raining cats and dogs and only 4C.
A promise of snow by the end of the week.
Was I ever envious when I read your heat at the beach! Youngest experience with the waves made me remember exactly the same thing happening to me in the first year at the beach at Lake Huron.We learnt fast to respect the undertow and the sand bars working against each other!
Deadline for my huge project for next summer is TOMORROW - the Latvian song festival. It's every 5 years with a super choir concert of 12,000 voices, yes friends, you read that right, its 12 thousand -or more!
Am now going bananas on lack of sleep and cynics attacking my concept for a night cafe for all the Latvians arriving from abroad, living in hotels and feeling lost - if I don't get the promised financing from the various ministries etc. I'll be down the creek without a paddle -but I'll worry about that when I'm old and grey - BUT AT LEAST I AM GOING TO GET THE WHOLE TEN PAGE CONCEPT HANDED IN BY TOMORROW, come hell or high water!
Keep sending the fantastic pixs! They are super - especially the moolighting angels are hilarious and made my morning!!!
CHEERS

Anonymous said...

I used to think that praying mantids changed colour, but I tried moving one from brown to green habitat and it stayed the same colour and was eaten by a bird before I could move it back. Females bite the heads off males after mating, so life is always kind of hard.

Miss Kim said...

Those are really really awesome clouds (btw I LOVE cloudwatching!)

Beth said...

Love the rainbow.
Laughed at the clouds mooning us!

Anonymous said...

I love a good dramatic storm! And yeah...the praying mantis. I've never seen a brown one either. I saw two green ones the other day...also weird because I come across them so rarely that to see two in one day is odd. Maybe the season when they come out?

oreneta said...

GM: Good luck with the application...must be nearly done by now.

Sorry about the cold. Brrrr.

Trevor: Thank goodness none of us are praying mantises, I don't relish either role....bluck.

Kim: They were unbelievable clouds...it was very cool

Beth: Glad you liked the angels mooing, doesn't happen every day you know....

Trish: It must be something weird, because I haven't seen a praying mantis in YEARS, and I saw one yesterday, and the day before, and I am pretty sure I saw one retreating out of the corner of my eye today.

I wonder what is up....given Trevor's comments, let's hope they aren't taking over the world...

MaR said...

Amazing shots, I love the rainbow!!
One can never get tired of looking at these kind of pictures...