Friday, January 25, 2008

I haven't touched paints since before December 20th!

...but I started again today.

I was in BCN this morning, slightly against the odds, the man twisted an ankle last night, and eldest turned her head quickly and had one of those twang-grab moments and now cannot move her neck properly and in quite uncomfortable. Nothing serious for either of them, they went off to work and school respectively. They are uncomfortable though.

However, I made it.

I got a few things, like a brand new paella dish...I am by no means a brilliant cook, and the man is doing most of the cooking right now, but I got a paella cookbook for myself just before Christmas, and the pan was required too. I also got one for my brother-in-law, now I have to mail it!

I don't seem to be able to stick to the topic this evening...

SO

I was in BCN shopping today, and I went by my FAVORITE art store here...it is almost as good as one of the ones I know in Toronto, but doesn't quite have the same dusty scent that summons up the possibility of unforeseen treasure.

I had decided that I would cough up and buy one sheet of large water colour paper. That stuff is some expensive, let me tell you...well...I got in there and fancy me, it was on sale! January is sale month in Catalonia....I got TWENTY sheets, a Euro twenty EACH!!!

I felt like a Charlie from the Chocolate factory, surprise money and sudden goodies!!!

Should have seen the smile on my face.

Wish I could have seen it to, but what the heck.

I hurried home and started on this.....



I hope you can see that...it is the drawing for the beginning of a new painting....it is a little faint because I don't want the pencil work to show through, and I beefed up the shadows as much as I could with my freebie download photo program...

Since a full half of the family is under the weather...tomorrow I'll...walk the dog in the mountains, cook, paint and study, maybe Sunday too!

*glee*

Oh, I just went and checked out the photo, that brown smear isn't there in real life...it is a crisp beautiful stretch of clean paper....

The anticipation.

8 comments:

Terrie said...

Here in south Florida the paella always has shimp in it is that true there as well? I don't really like shrimp

Anonymous said...

I would love to venture into painting some more. I am waiting until the nest is more empty and I have space to set up without worrying about it being in the way. And to have more time. Your weekend sounds wonderful, and I know that smell you are refering to. There is a store in Edmonton like that. We go there once in awhile to get things as it is near the kids piano lessons. We went there to get watercolour ink to do Ukrainian eggs and some rice paper to do batik on rice paper last year in the spring.

elPadawan said...

hmmm... a rowboat and water circles? Looks nice... I hope you'll it as you make more progress :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you got back into what you love. look forward to your newest creation.

Jocelyn said...

You've got me all excited right along with you! Keep posting pics as it comes along, won't you?

And TWENTY sheets? Woo-hoo!

Miss Kim said...

Isn't it funny how posts like this end up being so sweet :)

Can you teach us how to make a good paella please?

And the paper-- WOW! What a great deal!

Keep going with the painting-- it just makes us feel so blissful!

oreneta said...

Terrie, Hi there you....post some photos, kay? Yeah the paella here usually has shrimp, sometimes though, even better, they have langostines, that may be kind of like crawfish...a really big shrimp, but these don't have the claws that crawfish do...have I got the name right? If they don't cook the shrimp well, there kinda dry nuggets aren't they.

Dawn, part of why I'm doing watercolour is because it dries fast and I can put it away, not like oil paint.

Elpadawan, that's it, I'll post some photos as I go.

Sirdar, thanks...I'll pop some photos up as I go...

Jocelyn, it was pretty exciting hauling the stash home....and starting on it.

Traveller one, start with a paella pan...no, I will let you know when I get good at it...there is a fantastic cook book I can recommend though if you want....

Joanne Vive la Fr said...

GWARTZMAN'S???? on Spadina? I certainly remember the smell - not sure about the name or the spelling?