Saturday, February 21, 2009

Carnival

This weekend is Carnival, the world over I assume...and in our little neck of the woods too. There is a contest to see who has the best costumes and groups come together from everywhere....

One neighbourhood put together an ostrich theme...



Complete with stunned baby ostriches...

Another float....

Mozart and a buddy flew by on the way to somewhere...


Even the schools got in on the act, youngest's school theme was the sky....each class picks an aspect of it, and the costumes get made...we seem to have the solar system here...


Good fun, and lots of candy and confetti....we went into BCN today and it was a MESS after last nights festivities there. Not quite so bad here....

So which one do you think should win?

13 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

It looks like a blast!

Jason, as himself said...

Wow! This is wild. I love the ostrich theme.

When I lived in Peru I observed Carnival. Mostly it consisted of throwing water all over each other and tackling people and smearing shoe polish all over their faces.

I think I live the Spanish Carnival much better.

Jason, as himself said...

I mean I think I LIKE the Spanish Carnival better.

Anonymous said...

Carnival looks like good fun! I admit I love the ostrich themed costume.

Beth said...

I think the solar system/sky costumes should win. Great colours and I think in the spirit of good fun, kids should come out the winners!

mmichele said...

Too hard to choose. Those ostriches are brilliant, though. I'd love to get hold of those patterns.

Miss Kim said...

Love the ostriches!!!

And don't forget to eat your pancakes tomorrow!

oreneta said...

Diane, it is fun....much wilder in Sitges, and I think in BCN too...

Jason, I think I prefer Carnival here as well, though there are places that have giant tomato fights, and giant soap bubble fights...depends on the town...

Carla, they won...

Beth, I agree..the kids were actually in a separate parade...and they looked great.

Mmichele, the pattern? If I meet any of them I'll ask. It involved a whole lot of feathers...

Kim, Traveler1, goodness, pancake day is tomorrow!

contemporary themes said...

I vote for the kiddos EVERY TIME!

Great fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun. They had some pictures of Carnival down in Rio. Must say...the costumes seem quite a bit more risqué down in Brazil :-)

oreneta said...

She...I agree, the kids should always win...fortunately it was two separate parades.

Sirdar...it is a good deal more risqué in Sitges as well, the traditions are quite different from village to village....

swenglishexpat said...

Great photos of a great-atmosphere carnival! Yes, the ostriches get my vote.

oreneta said...

Swenglish...the ostriches were very cool, and they kept pecking people on the heads...leading to the unflattering nickname from the man and I of p*ckerheads.