Saturday, June 2, 2007

Fabric softener, Atwood AGAIN, and a fira


We discovered yesterday that we have been washing all of our clothing in fabric softener since we got here. Hmm. That explains why we've had trouble with stains. It is amazing how clean the clothing came in fact...most of the dirt here is plain old dusty dirt which does just rinse out, and with the laundry hanging in the sun, all the little greebly bacteria are killed....but still. Lets see what the clothes look like now.

Atwood...I am starting to skim. This book is boring. She is taking the entire story and telling it three times over, like overlapping short stories of little intrinsic value. She needed a fierce and brave editor, but clearly this one was unwilling to make the necessary stand against the Atwood mystique. It is boring and repetitive. Two adjectives I never thought I would apply to her writing. She is not good enough to carry this story structure, that has moved beyond mere clunkiness into the ridiculous and I am losing interest fast. I may skip to the end and call it done. I'll try a different book next time. Maybe. Bleach. It think I have Alias Grace kicking around somewhere here...

There has been a big Fira today to raise money for cancer...it has been a lot of fun...as usual it is a bit of a marathon...they started selling at 10am, we got there around 11, elbows out, ready to defend our turf, and got a bunch of stuff we don't really need or want, but that isn't entirely the point at these events. We did get some plants and flowers plus a teapot shaped like the Pedrera by Gaudi...it is kind of cool...they had a lunch there for five Euros, salad, paella and desert. At 6pm there kids park opens up, face painting and I don't know what all else, and then dinner is at 9:30 with jazz music and dancing. I am not sure we have the stamina to last through till dinner, but as lunch was at three, I am not sure I really want to eat earlier.



Sideburns are all the style here, I am now quite used to it, but boy, it's a strange look. This hairstyle is also in here.....shaved all over and then dreads at the back...this one isn't as bad as some. The ones I really loathe have dreads all up the back of their heads.



The girls are having a tea party now and I can hear the music coming up from the park....the man lost the dog when they went walking today....we looked down off the porch and there was Chuck patiently waiting for us to open the door. My husband appeared about ten minutes later...some large German Shepherd saw him off. Chuck did at least look relieved to see the man returning home. Went all the way down the stairs to see him.

5 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Oh that's so funny about the fabric softener!! Reminds me of the first week in Holland when I poured buttermilk on the kids cereal!

Beth said...

Skip to the end of the Atwood book! Don't get totally turned off her. And I wouldn't recommend diving into another one right away - take a break!
I LOVE that teapot - which is saying a lot because those kind of things usually do nothing for me.
Chuck is so like our dog. I may have mentioned this before but when Major escapes from the backyard (open gate, whatever...) he goes right to the front door. We're lucky having dogs like that.

oreneta said...

Kim: One of the joys of travel isn't it...

Beth: I skipped, it's done. Fairly predictable ending, I'll try Alias Grace in a while...like the fall.

I am also very glad that Chuck just comes home. Small mercy.

Helen said...

I love the teapot and cups - they are great!

oreneta said...

Helen:

Thanks, I kind of like them too!