Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dali day...



We went off to the Dali museum in BCN today, I have to confess I am not exactly a big Dali fan at the best of times. He was a self-aggrandizing fascist freak...at best. Now I have to admit that he was an immensely talented self-aggrandizing fascist freak. I am not sure about the imagination, there may have been some pharmaceutical assistance there, though he certainly had original ideas for work with mediums....

The museum...meh....it's a private museum, expensive and unfortunately poorly maintained, several of the works are visibly molding and nothing is being done, there are drawings and photos that have slipped in the frames and not being fixed, and in an effort to save money on rent, they have mashed far far too many pieces into every room. It is literally wall to wall, floor to ceiling drawings. None of the really important stuff was here, and if that were not enough, they fleshed it out with photos...I wouldn't go back. If we have guests that are desperate to go, I have to confess, they can go on their own. I'll go get a coffee.

That said, he had some interesting watercolour work, which peaked my interest as I have been dabbling in that lately....took some photos which they also allow. Strange.

Barcelona itself however remained absolutely fascinating architecturally, everywhere you go, you have to keep your head up and your eyes open for the wonders that are everywhere. These are only two of the photos I took....

I love these balconies....



And check this out....it is a pillar support between two doorways...there were three of four more. What a beautiful idea.



Wish I lived in a building with a feature like that.

3 comments:

Angel said...

wow..Oreneta..that building is BEAUTIFUL!!! can you imagine having pillars like that? And the balconies!!

Beth said...

Well, his work definitely gets you thinking. Time hanging? Hanging by a moment?

oreneta said...

Beth: I love this city...I can't afford to live in a place like that, but it is sure nice to be able to walk by.

Beth: Yeah, I suppose he gets you thinking, though I rather feel he lacks subtlety....a bash and a crash to the head rather than a whisper....I'm not a fan.