Friday, February 12, 2010

Skatepark!

Kids in the village want a skateboarding park.  I think that's a brilliant idea, and I also think that it should be done.  They take up very little space, and are great for the kids to have a place to tool around.

The nearest one is in the next town.  The big disadvantage of this is that when they break their wrist/ankle/nose, they aren't quite so far away from family members who can help them, also they don't have to skate all the way to the next town and skate back (sometimes in the dark).

One of the kids is getting signatures together, he's one of my students.  I said I'd sign it too, and indeed I'm going to say to him that I'd be willing to help him out with getting a proposal put together to take to the city council.  Sort of direct them towards a more-likely-to-succeed plan....

Hope they get it done.  I may go off and do some research on skate park designs right about now.

Know what makes for a really cool half tube?  Me neither.  Gonna have to find out though....

5 comments:

Clark said...

Hang ten!!

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Ah! The very thought of my kid on a skateboard makes me want to bring out the bubblewrap. At least with a park in your own neighborhood you can kind of monitor what does go in/get built. Kids are going to do it anyway, right?

Helen said...

Also good for dog exercise for lazy people. Adam would stand at the top of the ramp, call the dog who would run like blazes to get to the top, slide down, and try again - and again - and again.......

Boo and Trev said...

Saffron Walden - not famous for much has one of the best skating parks in the UK. When they decided to build it, people having raised money for it, they got really good designers in from the US. People still keep giving money and it has expanded. It's called One Minet park. Google it and you will see a well designed park that was started pretty much like the one your villagers want

oreneta said...

cs, Yeah man.

Bodhi, I have it easy with this, my kids don't want to do it. I do however think there should be a place for them to hang out and skate....they need it.

Helen, now that I might try...

Boo and Trev! Thank you for that link...now there is some great info for the kids. Let's see how hungry they are!