Monday, July 11, 2011

Running, the mind game

OK, so I'm running along, and it's OK,  then I stop.  Sometimes I'm not even very sure why I stop.  My lungs are doing OK, my legs are doing OK, it's like I'm just kinda not liking it at all.  Something inside does this commentary about the idiocy of doing this and I should just walk a bit.

And I do.

Then Chuck gives me a look....what?  AGAIN????

Then I start again.

I really think that getting over the walking part of running has as much to do with head space as anything else.  If I am feeling good about the running, like at home, I can run much farther, but if I'm uninspired like here, I stop WAY more often.

Head game.

Maybe I should try listening to music, but I don't really want to, I'm running trails and I am THE only woman alone I see at that hour....though I have the Chuckster with me.  Think I need to be able to hear.

Gonna have to psyche myself out of this head game.

Somehow.

The Running Room when I got my shoes gave me a couple of great tips.  Runners should feel like socks when you try them on.  OK, I get that.  Also they said a good way to start running is to spend 1 week running and walking at 1 min intervals, then the next week 2 min of running to one of walking and so on till you're running 9 min with a one min interval and then 20 min straight.  I think I could get in there in the middle end, but maybe a clock would help discipline me.  Never has before, but maybe this time.

Ideas?

4 comments:

Nomad said...

Make a rule.
NO STOPPING.

Simple.
You can go r.e.a.l.l.y slow, but as long as you are out for a run...

NO STOPPING.

It is a RUN after all!

:-)

Anonymous said...

can't you try dragging one of the girls with you? Also, the music thing may be an option, just use one ear piece and leave the other free to listen to surrounding hobos trying to pick you up with cheesy lines :)

swenglishexpat said...

I used to do a lot of running, rather long distances, and my attitude was to regard it as an opportunity to meditate, think about life, ideas and plans. I have actually made some very important decisions that way. Otherwise I would just like to quote one of the songs my teenage band used to play, "Keep on Running" (Spencer Davis Group). ;-)

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Hmmm, how about no running? Just kidding. I used to drive 20 kms to a great trail and park so that the hardest part was at the beginning and I ended on a downhill. But that was in the winter too, although I never really liked running much in the summer - too hot. I would say if you are feeling OK, don't stop at all, maybe slow your pace and keep a slower pace until you want to increase it. Running doesn't have to mean one pace all the way through. Maybe you can look for those dog leashes that you cinch around your waist, they have a large coil that lets the dog go as far as you want him to.