Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Duck eggs


Today was market day today, and I bought five duck eggs as an experiment. Now some of you may be surprised by this, but being a city girl, I had never had a duck egg in my life!

I got them home along with the rest of the groceries, and proceeded to fry them up. As these were farm raised eggs from a lady in the neighbourhood, I figured that the danger of salmonella was remote to say the least, so I decided to do what I NEVER do and try them with a runny yolk. I am a touch paranoid on the salmonella issue, I will admit, and all eggs are cooked until the yolk is solid.

I placed these beauties on the table, one even had a double yolk and they were firm and upstanding. Eggs that are proud to be eggs. I cut into the first one...popped it in my mouth and it was

DISGUSTING

eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I didn't like the taste, and it was all slimy and gluey and stuck to the inside of my face.

Blech blech blech...

I headed rapidly in the kitchen in search of some vinegar to drink straight to 'cleanse my palette' (blech blech blech) *ptew ptew*

I saw the peanut butter jar first, nice coarse peanut butter. If figured that would abrade the foul tasting stuff off my mouth effectively. It did.

*phew*

Slapped those babies back in the frying pan and cooked them up good, then still a little leery I also cut up some of the gorgeous tomatoes I had bought, sprinkled a little balsamic and some olive oil from a friend's property - am I spoiled or what? -and started again.

Much better.

Much much better.

They were firmer than a chicken's egg and more substantial and there was a subtle difference in flavour that was more apparent when youngest had her duck egg boiled. She had a brutal time peeling it, sure sign of a nice fresh egg, but otherwise enjoyed it.

We also had some little bitty baby new potatoes, also with the same olive oil and some sea salt...the only kind you can get here.

We also had some cherries which are in season here as well. Hombre, they were GOOD.

7 comments:

Angel said...

duck eggs=bad
potatoes=good

my mom had ducks for years and always ate duck eggs. I refused to eat anything at her house that MIGHT have eggs in it. I just couldn't do it. that could have been Donald duck or Daisy!!

Kelly said...

You are not alone, I had never had them either. Glad that I haven't. Great post.

Helen said...

I can't believe you always hard cook yolks! What a waste! However cooking cakes with duck eggs works very well because they are richer than chicken eggs and the cakes end up with a richer taste too. But I do prefer chicken eggs.

Unknown said...

Wait ... you can eat duck eggs? I think I've got a nest out back somewhere ...

oreneta said...

Beth: My Mom once served rabbit at easter....my sister and I ate peanut butter for that dinner.

MyUtopia: Thanks for coming by...maybe duck eggs are good if they are cooked fully...I am not the biggest egg fan at the best of times, and these were, how do I put it, eggier...

Helen: I am not a big fan of egg yolks at the best of times, I usually dump a good dollop of hot sauce on them....lubricates things and hides the taste all in one.

DD: They sell ostrich eggs here! I haven't tried one yet. There are stores that sell nothing but eggs, and my local grocery store carries quail's eggs as a house brand. I haven't tried those yet either, though come to think of it, I think I will...

Beth said...

I've never had duck eggs and I think you've put me off having them forever - no matter how they're disguised or what you add to them...

oreneta said...

Beth: I am sorry to have destroyed them for you for all time, maybe cooked with greater competence they are yummy, but well, I didn't like it much.