Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Weird stuff.

There are these ads on a radio station I listen to while I am driving sometimes, and they are for some kind of in-car emergency alert system, that monitors the car, can call 911 for you, and the lady or gentleman at the help center can contact you and talk to you in the event of an incident. Presumably through the radio or something.

Aside from the sheer big-brotherishness of this, which I just don't feel like getting into. Really, I don't, but it is creepy. That aside, there is something else a little odd here. One of the commercials features a man who has been knocked unconscious by the accident, and the help lady is earnestly calling 911 for him. He then comes to, wondering (rather poorly) what has happened. The lady starts to talk to him, explaining the situation, and all I can think of is this poor bleeding sap who is stuck in his smacked up car, with a whopper of a headache and slowly returning consciousness; then, then..... the freakin' car is talking to him.

Wouldn't that kind of mess you up?

11 comments:

mmichele said...

It's kind of like the old "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials except there is a Very Nice Help Lady talking to you.

(We rented a vehicle once with that feature and we called it accidentally. I actually talked to that Very Nice Lady. It was Strange.)

MaR said...

Weird indeed...
If it happened here I would blame the current heat wave ...
(very uncomfortable!)

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Definitely. Reminds me of when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and the surgeon cracked a molar in the process. He had Hubby take me to my nearby dentist for the repair, but I wasn't out of the anesthesia yet. I went to sleep in one place and woke up in another. I stayed confused for a looong time.

elPadawan said...

First thing to come to mind would be "alien abduction". Ew.

Anonymous said...

Sounds alot like the old TV show "My Mother The Car" back in the 60's. Some guys mom dies and comes back as a car.

Actually used one while I was in Florida looking for Kennedy Space Center. The voice from the car couldn't find it for us...

oreneta said...

mmichele...did they talk through the radio or an independent system?

Mar, I keep hearing about that, I even turned on catradio and ALL they talked about was the heat.

Hula, confused and angry, hope the surgeon paid the dentist...what a horror

elPadawan, it would be way too weird wouldn't it.

Mike, the voice from the car couldn't find the KENNEDY SPACE CENTER???? For heaven's sakes, it's freaking enormous!

mmichele said...

it comes through the radio. very odd. all of a sudden, the radio is talking and responding to you.

Helen said...

We had the support phone for mum. There is a panic button which the person wears and can press if they fall, the phone then starts talking to you and can call key holders, doctors etc. We mostly talked to the person on the other end when I cleaned the phone and accidentally pressed a button. The response was very fast and a pleasant voice would say 'Hello mrs Carter can I help you?" Similar idea I suppose but i can see more need for it when dealing with the elderly.

oreneta said...

mmichele, that would be TOTALLY freaky...totally. ANd way big-brother-ish...creepy.

Helen, I agree, with seniors it is totally different...and certainly more useful.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty funny. I always wonder about the voices too, and the whole big brother thing; are they watching. I would think someone confused and dazed would have some extra confusion over the talking car.

oreneta said...

Dawn, totally confusing....hello, is this herbie the love bug or something?