Friday, July 8, 2011

What I don't like about running here.

I have been trying to figure this out, and I think there are three things about it that make it much suckier.

1.  I start off downhill and end off uphill.  At home it is the opposite, so I end on a high note, so to speak, rather than feeling rather more slow and useless.

2. The dog is on leash.  This is annoying in some ways, though he is very good and runs right along beside me, but I also loose the distraction factor by watching him run around and generally be gleeful.

3.  Long straight flat trails/sidewalks simply suck.  Little kids, if the trail winds and is narrow and interesting can walk remarkable distances.  Put them on a long straight road and they're begging to be picked up within a hundred meters.  I think I am the same.  They are dreadful, plus you don't have the distraction of watching the footing nor the delight in rounding the corners and seeing the new vistas change.

Persistence and determination is more the order of the day, and that just t'ain't so much fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at it this way: At least you're not running on a treadmill in a condo basement...
Hope you'll find better running trails

oreneta said...

A whole lot of truth in that one, have you logged many hours that way?

Anonymous said...

nah, never been a "gym" guy. That's what the outdoors are for, right? Exercising. The only sports I practice indoors are swimming, and climbing (mostly because I never had the opportunity to climb outdoors yet...)

oreneta said...

ElP, you didn't strike me as a gym kinda guy, though indoor rock climbing is very cool, did that for a while and loved it.

Anonymous said...

the advantage of indoor rock climbing is the fact that it is convenient (no weather problems), and that even though it's indoors, you still have a lot of variety and possibilities what you choose to climb, and how. If I manage to get back to it correctly here, maybe I'll be able to try outdoors climbing. Need the practice, and the Czech language learning, though :/

oreneta said...

I used to love doing it, and even got outdoors a couple of times....one of these days I may get back there again.....