Monday, July 18, 2011


A post or two ago I used the word wicket for a desk in a series of desks, like tellers in a bank, or immigration officers in a line of desks....

and it sparked comment.

I assumed it was a british word, but Kate a brit was surprised by it so I looked it up in Websters, and American dictionary, and my usage came up numbers 1 and 2  and they said, "Middle English wiket, from Anglo-French, probably of Germanic origin; akin to Old Norse vīk inlet, corner
First Known Use: 13th century"

While word reference (from the OED) had it second and claimed it is a N American usage.  

LOVE this language, I guess it came over with the immigrants from the UK and the older usage stuck as the cricket association didn't?

Cool, no?


The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Just don't get your wicket in a knot.

thecatalanway said...

I'm going to start using wicket and take it back to the UK, via Catalunya! K x

Anonymous said...

I definitely thought it was the thing you hit in cricket or the hoop you hit your ball through in that super charming game that I cannot remember the name of - lawn hoops? Lawn putting - what is it?
I got what you meant though - maybe it is a family word?

oreneta said...

Bodhi....give it a whirl!

Kate, I LOVE IT!!!!

Nana, I'm glad you got what I meant anyway.....wickets are cricket aren't they, not croquet....???? Maybe both???

oreneta said...

You can also have a wicket in a fence, where you can slide through