Sunday, January 18, 2009

Blog green

Nicole who I discovered on Expat blogs has a cool project going on, she is calling it blog green...the idea is kinda green...

You see, we are supposed to head out into our local neighbourhood armed with a plastic bag, gloves and a camera then we pick up the trash, take some photos and post how we're making the world a little bit better in a little way.

Spreading the goodness.

I'm all signed up, and finally got organised to do it on Friday. Camera? Check. Bags? Check. Gloves? NAaahhhh.

I went out with Chuck on our usual walk and easily filled a grocery bag, on what I had always perceived as a pretty clean route. Mostly plastic bags and water bottles (how I hate those things) along with some shot gun shells (not my favourites either) but did I remember to take a photo?

*forehead slap*

That would be a no, duh.....

There is an abandoned moto in the hills in bits and pieces, that should take me a while to haul out a chunk at a time.....

Hopefully some photos to follow...

So, what do you think, are you up for a little clean up with me?

All you need is a bag, a camera and a little memory...where I seem to be lacking.

11 comments:

Beth said...

I like the idea but I'm going to have to wait for awhile. All the litter/garbage is covered in snow - we just got another 25 cm.
And I take such lousy pictures...
But I'm great at picking up trash!

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

OK, sign me up. I'll have to wait until the spring, though. And traditionally, there will be plenty to pick up then! And I don't only mean poopers. We are a notoriously dirty bunch here in Montreal. I think a majority is too busy checking to see if the language-side up on the trash is legally placed.

mmichele said...

well,as long as it's really happening...

Unknown said...

Have added your achievement to the list, oreneta :)

@Beth & Bodhi

I planned it originally only for January, but will let it run longer.
Everything here is frozen solid to the ground.
But I started with bottle,plastic and paper recycling in the house, grin :)
Just brought one big bag to the containers this morning. Sliding over the ice, sigh ;)

Please let me know, if you post something about "Blog Green", so I can add it to the list of blog posts :)

I've signed you both up - you can check here:
http://www.nicoleb.org/blog_green/blog_green.html

@michele

Not sure what you mean with that?!

Anonymous said...

I'm game! My 5 acres back up to an old railroad which is no longer in use, so I wonder what I'll find? It would be great to find something that can be turned into art, too.

Helen said...

A man who walked his dog in the field near me always does the litter picking bit - but he doesn't take pictures, he just picked up rubbish.

Anonymous said...

Yes! It's something I do every spring when the retreating snow exposes all those Tim Horton's cups, water bottles, candy wrappers, cigarette butts etc etc

Usually March . . . but this year, who knows? Gads there's a lot of snow around here.

oreneta said...

Beth, it is tricky with all that white stuff around to say the least...not the best timing for Canadians, but what the heck...

Bhodi...I don't remember that much grunge in Montreal, but maybe I wasn't looking....glad you're aboard.

Mmichele...can't speak for anyone else, but I'm on....

Nicole...FAST reaction time on that. I don't plan on stopping after Jan...I may make it a sidebar photo that I just keep changing up...

Carla, I love your eye for opportunity! I'll be looking forward to what you find in the back 40! Even more what you'll make of it. The shot gun shells I keep picking up have potential....

Helen, think the litter picking is more important...no? How are all the sore bits?

Trish, that is the down-side of early spring, all that disgusting garbage that appears, then again, I am usually so giddy with the increasing warmth and light that it doesn't bother me all THAT much.

J.G. said...

I pick up random trash here and there when I see them, but I will make a project, just for you and Nicole. :-) No snow hiatus for me!

Did I miss a post about the pros and cons of Malaysia? I can't vote without more info!

oreneta said...

Malaysia was an option that appeared...a door so to speak. Despite the temptation we have decided already not to go...teenagers who have only just settled in are not happy with moves like that.....sad but true.

Anonymous said...

Carla & J.G. I added you to the list.

Maybe whenever you blog about the project you can drop me a small note so I can add the link?
:)

Thanks!