Saturday, September 26, 2009

Safareig ideas.

A friend lent us a calendar of some safareiges that had been renovated and turned into fountains. I took photos of them to remember some of the ideas, and I thought I might share.....












See all those ones with the mossy rock things...those are quite traditional, and our house did had one. Indeed the rocks are still there. We are probably not going to keep that, I am not sure I want to pay for water to be running down that day and night forever. A little extravagant in a land that is so dry. Maybe that is the point though.




A little more for those of you who have made it this far. We sort of have a garden with this house too. There is a walled garden in front that USED to belong to the house officially, but hasn't since the civil war, as well, the lady who lived there before us used it all the time.

I am keeping up with the tradition. I may add that I have never before been in a garden entirely planted with spiky thorny grasping nasty plants.

Holly trees...(who knew THAT existed) and rose bushes and I don't know what all else but one of them is a nasty spreading ugly thing that has thorns on the tip of every leaf and there are lots of them.

All massively overgrown after three years or more without being tended. Got some work ahead of me and some garden planning!

6 comments:

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

I might be wrong but I think that water is recycled - just pumped over and over, back and up and down again. (if that makes any sense) And those wet walls, all I can think of is mould. But then again, you don't ever have to shut up the house for six months, your heat and general dryness in the outside air would take care of those nasties. Good luck with the new potential architect.

oreneta said...

One would think that a pump would be employed, but apparently it was traditional to just let some of the water from the mains run over it all the time.

Then again, I don't want to pay for a pump to run 24/7 either. We're probably looking at some fish.

J.G. said...

I'm thinking you should try to re-do it and keep it. Lovely and historic. With the right kind of fish, it should work.

I have some sympathy for those thorny plants that are just trying to hold onto what little water they have and not get munched by thirsty animals. Strange choice for a garden theme, though.

Helen said...

Lovely pics - I love them

Jason, as himself said...

Beautiful!!!

Beth said...

Wow! i get sick for a couple of days and look at all the stuff I miss!
I have major, major love for the fountains. Beautiful!

Practical note- we have friends with a similat fish-basin thing. It tended to get scummy. they finally installed a pump to make a bitty fountain, just to aerate the water. the fish seem happier, the water stays clear and it's very pretty. Also- you don't have to leave the pump on 24/7. You can turn it off at night and when you're away. Just an idea...