Monday, November 30, 2009

Blog conundrum

As I sit here thinking about the blog, I am struck by how to move forward with this.

You see, I don't write about work.  Period.  I keep this as anonymous as I can.  Both of these are somewhat limiting, but manageable.

Now I am basically engulfed in the house reno details, and when I sit down to write I am not sure what to do to not bore folks nie unto death.

By the same token, while I am trotting out clichés, I do want some record of what the heck we are going through, and that is part of the reason that I blog, I would not want to create a 'style' or 'brand' to the blog, cause that's not why I'm at this.  Part of it is for me, to figure out what the heck is going on.

So, what to write about....the endless debate about numbers and the house, which is probably where this is going to go, and today's period of regret that we got ourselves into this....the Catalan teacher who corrected my daughter's name IN RED to add accents to it.  I am sorry but where the freaking frog arse holes do you get off correcting someones name??????

Words may well be said on that one.

Or I could describe the walk I took with the dog today, which was chilly enough that I wrapped my scarf around my head like a wayward and aged hippy with a head cold cause I HATE getting cold wind in my ears.  Though the walk was utterly lovely.

I can't talk about anything that happened at work today.....cause I just don't.  But I will say that some of it was very very funny.

I can say that I am in the middle of designing a new course that I am enjoying doing it enormously.  Cross your fingers for me that I get lots of students.

I could talk about the book I am reading, which I picked up because I used an Economist review of it in a class, and it was well enough written that I wanted to read the book...it is a trilogy by Stieg Larsson...I am reading the second book, the Girl Who Played with Fire...and it is good.  Eldest MAY NOT read it, and thankfully doesn't want to.  So far, so good, though I don't usually like crime fiction all that much.

I could talk about going to the bank and talking to the manager about numbers, and whether these are wildly unreasonable.  He could only say so much as he doesn't know what we are getting done, but he said they seemed high...and that people do get mortgages with these kinds of numbers....

I could also mention that a friend's husband, who is in the construction industry, told us that the architects take a commission from the trades who work on their jobs.

I believe that is more commonly called a kick-back, no?  I give you a job, so.....

What to post about?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... For things you absolutely feel the need to write down, without publishing it, you always have the option of writing a draft that will stay a draft permanently. (wordpress also has this neat feature where you can say a given post is private, while the others are public).

I didn't know your daughters had accents in their name. Did you? ;)

Beth said...

You’re having a blogging conundrum??!! You?! You’re my blogging idol – never at a loss for words, posting daily…
If you’re in trouble, I’m in deeper trouble than I thought… ;)

And, hey - despite your conundrum, you still managed to come up with a great blog post! Still my idol… ;)

kate said...

Hmm, you could always do what I did for my student teaching notes-- I created a special blog just for that and made it invite-only, and didn't send out any invites to it-- so it's basically an online journal that (as far as I know) no one else can read (maybe they could somehow, but they'd really have to try, not just stumble upon it.)

Lynda said...

Well honey.. let me say this...you had me at "freaking frog arse holes"!!

Snap!! My daughter has a name that can or cannot have accents. Her last teacher taught everyone in the class to write it with an umlaut..which doesn't appear on her birth certificate. Grrrr

BTW, it gets better... my word verification is SCRAT...Hahahaha

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Ha! Some of this seems eerily familiar. I am SO glad we're finished with our remodeling. I hope yours smooths out soon.

"Freaking frog arse holes"--I'm definitely using that in a conversation today.

kate said...

Re: books. I read the first book of that Larsson trilogy-- I found it a bit slow going at first, but then quite good. I was excited about the movie until I got far enough into it to realize that there were several scenes I had no wish to see enacted on the big screen. So, no movie for me, but maybe I'll give the second book a try...

swenglishexpat said...

... and thereby writing a loong post. I know what you mean about not writing about work. When I first moved to London many years ago I did not have many friends, and definitely not anybody to "talk to" about work, off-load what had happened during the day, so I used my computer to keep a diary. I guess that might have been in the form of a(n anonymous) blog these days. I could publish a close to 1000-page book if I felt so inclined. As diaries go, some would not be publishable, with most characters still alive, if you see what I mean, wink wink, nudge nudge. ;-)

BTW Zlatan, Ibra, comes from my hometown in Sweden! Did you see that volley!?

Helen said...

Your blog is always interesting, and even your conundrum is interesting. If it wasn't you wouldn't have so many people who read it. I started mine purely to see if I could keep it up for a year, which I have more or less, though no one outside the family reads it, but that is fine as well. I did it to meet the challenge of doing it. The thing I like about blogs is that they can be whatever you want. YOu could also start a second blog just on the building development which would interest others who are working at renovation in Spain, and those who are less interested could just stay with this one.

oreneta said...

ElP, I do that to some extent...some just doesn't get written, I also get really radical upon occasion and write on paper...such a ludite.

I thought it was kind of the teacher to let me know about the accents in her name, I imagine he would inform me that my name is misspelled as well.

Beth, oh my goodness, now I am blushing...though I do massively appreciate what you had to say...thank you.

Kate, I have considered that....and I do have a couple of other -almost completely inactive - blogs for other projects...but I seem to be able to sustain only one at once....there is something about framing the experience for sharing that impacts with me....as for the book, it is getting a bit old in the middle, the main character is what carries the book, and she has largely disappeared for about 70 pages, and doesn't look to be coming back soon, and I am losing patience...read starting to skip forward a bit....

Swede! They would all LOVE you here...seriously LOVE YOU!

Helen, I have thought of doing that....the building blog that is...though I think it might be a depressing read at the moment...one very long rant....ho hum.

oreneta said...

Lynda...the gall, eh...some of them...

Hula, I imagine...glad you're through it anyway. goodness, looking forward to that day.