Youngest's room has been smelling funky and mildewy for a while, and we have been airing out her matresses a great deal, but the smell has persisted. The room is very very damp and we are not really sure why ONLY that room is damp, but boy o boy it is a humid place.
Thankfully -overall - I decided that I would paint her room today, I know, I'm nuts, but I am glad I did it because when we started moving her furniture we discovered an absolute horror show. She decided that for her room she would have some 'expedite' shelves from Ikea and put bins in them for her stuff. Great. Has worked like a dream as far as storing and sorting. She wanted to have the blue plastic bins to store her stuff, but we were only able to get two. In the end we went for some baskets that look kind of like grass string, woven, like the seat of cane chairs kind of.
I can only recommend these to you if you live in Arizona.
They were vile honestly. Vile.
Some had orange stuff growing on them, some grey, some black mildew and some fuzzy stuff like on a really old carrot.
We are washing every single stitch of youngest's clothes and the man made a most unwilling, but ultimately successful trip to Ikea on the metro (read 2+ hours each way) to get more bins...in BLUE!
So, I am glad those things are out of her room, and maybe it will start to smell better. Would have been nice to have heat, might have helped with the humidity a bit. However.
Began painting, and I can now personally attest to the fact that the walls are wet. The paint was, in places, peeling right off the wall onto the roller like when you're rolling out sticky pie crust and it sticks to the pin.
Hand painted those sections. Looks a little spackle-y, but it is an old house. I only painted two walls, of a possible three we were considering, the colour she chose is darker than I had anticipated and I don't want the room to get too dark...plus, I want to go to bed.
Hope she likes it in the morning, it has been somewhat trying, but ultimately worth it, so that is good.