Thursday, March 15, 2007

Who is that hairy low-browed man?

The eldest went off on an exciting field trip today to the Ajuntamin...the town hall, where she and her classmates spent most of the morning questioning the mayor of our little village no less. She said it was exquisitely boring, especially so as it was all in Catalan...the other kids were reported to have enjoyed it, and like politicians everywhere, she came back with a big old bag of candy....more than she's gotten in some loot bags!

She mentioned that she was going this morning, and typical parent, I said to her that I assumed it had to do with the work that they were doing in Social Sciences on the Catalan political system.

"No," she assured me, "we're studying Neanderthals now."




Here's a couple of photos from around the town...





I guess I like the mountains better than the buildings.

I substituted for a sick teacher tonight...6 year olds and 14 year olds. Substituting is at best tough, but doing it in another language adds a certain air to the entire thing....

Here's another little joy about the evening, that directly ties into the Catalan lifestyle. Picture a room full of 6 year olds, who have been in school until 5pm, followed by a large chocolate croissant and a chocolate milk....then take them to about 6pm. Yeegads...it was a noisy place...they COULD NOT sit still. Nothing on Earth or the heavens was going to keep their bottoms down...we did some fairly active language. They also thought MY accent was funny. They of course are too young to realize that their English accent also leaves a little to be desired. The teenagers...yeegads. I held my own, and they did learn something...but oh, what a contest of wills. 'nuff said.

I now have to go write report cards in Catalan!!! weee. They will check them over before they are sent out needless to say.

On a final delightful note, I now have a contract, and a social security number in Spain....I have landed. The other good thing is that I have work already lined up for next year...they asked ME to come back. Although after tonight........gack.

6 comments:

Beth said...

I know you sometimes feel a wee bit claustrophobic where you are, but both those pictures are so beautiful.
Congratulations on the contract - you sound like a great teacher - "holding your own" despite the language barrier, "wired" six year olds and teenagers!

Angel said...

Congrats on "landing"!!!

I still can't get over that the kids are in school that long....how do they last all day like that? That is just insane!

Jocelyn said...

I love that comment about studying neanerthals now...Hahahaha.

And I got a little hung up on your casual mention of chocolate croissants. One of the best culinary moments of my life involved Budapest and a warm chocolate croissant.

You sound great, btw!

Unknown said...

Mmmm ... warm chocolate croissants ...

Though I do not have the same warm feelings for a group of 6-year-olds on a warm chocolate croissant high.

And I, too, prefer mountains over buildings.

Congrats on your landing and having work next year!

oreneta said...

Beth: There are parts of the place that have a certain, shall we say tunnel effect; but it makes it sweeter when you get out of them into the open areas.

Beth: I am so with you, the hours are just crazy. Even if they do get a two hour lunch.

Jocelyn: I love a good chocolate croissant too, and my folks lived in Budapest for quite a while, and it is a fascinating place...just a room full of chocolate hyped tired out 6 year olds is a little much...

DD: Yup, yup, yup. Agree all around.

Nomad said...

Woohoooo!!!Congrats..you are a superstar!!! (I know with a sore head...poor you)

How VERY exciting, it must feel great.