Thursday, July 10, 2008

Guest blogger!

Darling JC FR has asked a question in the previous comments, and as it is late, and I am busy drafting letters about sexual harassment and the management of the issue, which will certainly lead to a blog post, I though that JC could have a post of her own, so here is her question....and I would love to hear your answers, I will also wade in on the comments...later.

A question for all:

When do you tend to give people asking for money on the street money? When you have been lucky that day? When you have had a totally crap day or something bad has happened to you? When they are holding a small baby? I have contemplated my motives on this a few times and would be interested to hear...

3 comments:

Helen said...

I never give money. I sometimes give sandwiches or something similar, but never money. I will buy the Big Issue (not sure this is relevant outside the UK) but that is it. If someone is onto drugs or drink then money will go on that, but if they are hungry a sandwich is good, and if they don't like it they can give it to the dog. Which is one thing that puzzles me - the beggars often have dogs, the dogs are usually in very good condition (which is good) but it costs a lot to feed a dog. If I was very poor I wouldn't keep a dog. ????

elPadawan said...

I usually will give to those who play some music. and I give the money I find on the ground. small change, that kind of thing. Other than that, I'll donate to associations who will be able, hopefully, to help more people with my money than if I just gave to one beggar directly. One of the associations I donated to in France, for example, was able to provide 8 meals with 8€. Donating directly 8€ to the beggar would only have provided him/her one or two meals, provided he/she didn't spend it on drugs/booze/cigarettes.

Anonymous said...

I don't run across the situation often as I don't get downtown Edmonton much, but when I do, it sometimes depends on what I am doing (am I in a hurry), how creepy they make me feel (then I will be in a hurry), if I have change in my pocket or money in my purse in smaller sums but no larger ones for them to see and want. I haven't really thought much about it, but I don't give often.