Monday, January 3, 2011

French culture, alive and well

We can attest to the fact that French culture is alive and well.  This is proven by the bathrooms.

The apartment we are staying in has two bathrooms, a great luxury in Paris.  One is spacious and complete by North American standards.  Two sinks, big tub, shower and toilet, plus a closet with a washer and dryer.  Good stuff.

The second bathroom has a toilet as one might expect.  A bookshelf, an amenity more johns could do with, but get this, no sink.

Ummmm.

The nearest sink is the kitchen sink.

Now, I am not the fussiest person in the world about these things, but I really don't want someone washing my hands in my kitchen sink after using the toilet.  Really.  I would prefer that they just didn't wash their hands at all.  Though that is kind of questionable too.  At least there should be possibility, no?

Further proof:

We were over at friend's the other day. They too have two bathrooms.  One a two piece bathroom, as you might imagine it.  Loo and sink.  All good.

The other one is larger and better equipped.  Shower/tub combo, sink, washer, space for a dryer and a....bidet.  Now, call me crazy, but I sort of thought the idea of a bidet involved doing your thing, then sort of sidling over and giving everything a good hosing down.  I mean, you could decide independently of going to the john that you just need to get everything clean, but still, I would need to go were I to start rinsing water around.  This leaves me with a mental image of French folks, doing their business and then either with their chic pants around their elegant knees they trot down the hallway to the other bathroom for a refreshing rinse, or they just do everything up loosely for the trip...thus rather defeating the purpose of the exercise as your clothes would be none to tidy at the end of that.  Though the washer is in there.....

French.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

why would you keep your clothes on for doing your stuff anyways? :p

Helen said...

I agree about the combos - bizarre. I did use the bidet for washing babies when I had them as well as for their original purpose, and they are also good for dirty children's feet, but usually near the loo.....

oreneta said...

JEjejejejeje ElP, I was wondering whether you'd lacerate me over this one. I love the image of stripping down for every job. Love it.

Helen, bidets can be quite handy, when handily placed, I imagine.

Mother Theresa said...

Hahaha! I just love the image of people doing the penguin walk down the hall in search of the bidet. All the bidets I've ever seen were accompanied by a toilet...

oreneta said...

Mother T, meeeee to.

AnneC. said...

lol, again I'm sorry, on behalf of the french! XD

oreneta said...

Tya, how is your toilet situation? Sensible or nuts?

J.G. said...

I learn something new every day. I always thought a bidet was for when you wanted to get clean(ish) but didn't have time for a full shower.

However, I'll stand by my belief that every toilet should be paired with a sink.