Thursday, May 15, 2008

Things I love here.

One day recently, probably the day after I wrote about finding it hard, I came to the completely unstartling conclusion that we need to focus on the good things that are going on, not the bad.

Despite being hardly ground-breaking news, it can be rather difficult to do from time to time.

Not today though.

Here's some things I love about my life here.

I love it that I can go to the market and use almost no plastic bags.

I love it that one of the ladies in the market exchanges recipes with me, and that the eggs I buy from her are still dirty, that she actually feeds the chickens vegetables, that the yolks stand up about three quarters of an inch proud of the white when you crack it, that they are an amazing orange colour, and that I can take both the (cardboard) cartons and the elastic bands back to her and she'll use them again. How good does it get?



I love it that most of the women and men here carry a straw basket to do their shopping and so do I,

I love it that most people use one of these for the bread...



I got this two days ago...my local bakery lady asked a friend of hers to sell me one...I still haven't paid for it yet, but one of these days....this seems to be the norm here, a certain amount of waiting to pay for things is OK....

I also love the food.

Today I wanted to eat meat...really, 'where's the beef'...I actually said it aloud to myself as I walked down the street. Eldest would have DIED of embarrassment, but fortunately for her, she wasn't there.

When I say I wanted to eat meat....I WANTED to...

So...I went down to the market and picked up six little sausages, made by the lovely butcher lady, or one of her compatriots, and then I got some alloli...(take a lot of garlic, peel it, mince it, put it in a mortar with olive oil and pound it until it is a smooth emulsion like mayonnaise, but WAY WAY WAY better) Please note I bought mine...it is apparently easy to make, but, well, at 1 Euro a pot..I am not too motivated.

I got home, fried up my sausages, sliced open a fresh crusty baguette from today, slathered it in alloli, sliced in some soft ripe bursting-with-flavour tomatoes, dropped the sizzling hot sausages in and had the best lunch I've had in a while...so good, and I had such a craving on, I didn't take a picture...I thought of as I walked home, and again as I was half way through it, but it was so good, I couldn't resist continuing to stuff the garlicy, tomato-y, crispy, soft, gooey, salty, slightly greasy mess into my face.

It was SOOOOO good.

Remind me of this when I whine, m'kay?

11 comments:

Beth said...

Not only did you focus on the good, you made some!
(And, hey, you don't whine...)

Miss Kim said...

You forgot to have a little WINE with that!

Sounds so yummy.... I'm off to the kitchen to hunt for breakfast!

kate said...

Oh, that sounds wonderful-- both the environmentally-friendly and small-town friendliness, and the food! Where I live it's big chain supermarkets and plastic bags all the way (though at least we use them for our garbage.)

Boo and Trev said...

Ooh, that's made me quite hungry.(Hope your bloke has something garlicky too!!)
I wish our postman would get the idea of recycling rubber bands. He leaves a trail of post office red ones on the hill up to our road.

Angel said...

mmmmm....damn does that ever sound good! Sometimes you just need MEAT with lots of garlic, ya know?

I wanna visit you and walk to town with a basket and buy bread....and hike with chuck!

oreneta said...

Beth, I try not to whine....sometimes maybe I b*tch.

Kim, HAHAHAHA! So true! Hope your breakfast was good...

Kate, there are no markets at all where you live? Really? I am so disappointed.

Boo and Trev, this is SPAIN...along with giving the dog olive oil (also the prescribed tick remedy) everyone eats garlic all the time, you NEVer notice it...I visited friends in Holland and she apologised because she had eaten garlic a few hours ago...honestly...I didn't notice.

Beth, I would SO love it if you came....SO.....and yes, sometimes you've just got to have some meat and garlic. Just gotta.

Anonymous said...

That does sound delicious. I am trying to be more environmental when it comes to the store. I have the same things with eggs, and will soon have them coming straight from our own chickens.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Man! That sounds delish.

Anonymous said...

sounds like heaven

elPadawan said...

It is so true. How I miss the "real eggs" we used to get from the neighbour down the street, back home, with real egg shells (she feeds the hens used shells, which makes sturdier egg shells, everyone knows that ;)), a real big yolk, for the yummiest of cakes :).

I read this post almost at lunch time (EST), you got me very hungry now :D

oreneta said...

Dawn, straight from the chickens...those should be great, you'll have to post a photo of one after you crack it so we can all see, OK?

Hula, it was....mmmmmm

Nursemyra, thanks for dropping by, it was so yummy...

elPadawan, you have to roast the shells a bit first don't you, before you give them to the chickens...I have to say, the quality of produce must be a hardship for you there coming from France, we just don't have the same standards and expectations, so it just isn't as good. Hope you had a good lunch in the end.