Thursday, July 16, 2009

Advertising

On one of the radio stations here in TO, specifically on Virgin 99.9, I will name names, are running a new ad for an amusement park who I ethcially refuse to name.

It is disgusting.

The audio on the ad is a deep agressive man's voice, speaking to a woman as her rapist.

charming

The first time I listened to it I was so transfixed by horror that we listened right through. To my neverending delight I had eldest in the car with me. There was a pause after the ad ended, and we both voiced our stunned confusion and sheer vomitous repulsion at this ad.

She is even faster than me at turning off the station, and I have to confess, we won't be listening much longer if it goes on.

It is one of those moments that makes me lose faith in humanity. That an ad like that could be conceived, then approved, and made is simply terrifying. Can you imagine sitting around thinking up ideas and actualy having the nerve to say, "Hey, why don't we simulate a rape on air, that'll really bring them in!" And it got the go ahead!?!?!

That a radio station consented to run it and that they think it will sell.

There really are people out there who can at best be described as creepy. Worst? Don't want to go there.

God some people are repulsive.

Honestly repulsive.

May my kids never come across any of them.

Nobody's kids.

Wishful thinking. We already are coming across them every time that ad comes on.

Makes me want to spew.

9 comments:

mmichele said...

seriously?

i can`t believe it. how could anyone think up/produce/act in such a commercial?

an amusement park?

Boo and Trev said...

That's awful! Is there an advertising authority you can complain to? Can you imagine anyone ever thinking it was a good idea.

Beth said...

Haven't heard it - hope I never do.

Anonymous said...

There aren't so many amusement parks around so I think I know which one that would be...

I'm kinda not sure exactly how rape would even lead to "an amusement park".

Spooky, to say the least...

Teacher Mommy said...

Um...

Somehow rape = amusement park? What the hell?

Now I almost need to know more just to be able to understand what was even happening--what, was he saying if she'd gone to the park she wouldn't be his victim? Or that going would make her feel better?

I swear, the lengths the ad people will go...

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Interesting what is considered acceptable and/or normal. I would be horrified, making phone calls and writing letters, boycotting whatever is being flogged. Let's hope enough people stand up and get this crap off the air. Since when did rape become acceptable? Shame on all of them.

J.G. said...

What are they thinking??? Sounds like it's time for some feedback to everyone involved. Supposedly one letter or phone call equals thousands of opinions these days, because people don't take the time. I might even include the newspaper and a local rape hotline on my contact list.

(Spoken by the person who told weather.com I was boycotting them because I kept having to look at that disgusting Halloween Horror ad all the time. At least it made me feel better to say my bit.)

oreneta said...

Agree with you all....sick sick sick....

Anonymous said...

That is beyond the pale! I am offended- way over the ocean- for you and your daughter for having had to listen to it.

Shame on them- the amusement park and the station.