Friday, July 24, 2009

Camp update.

The camp with that form I was talking about was the Toronto Raptors Basketball camp, so the coverage and use of the images etc etc etc. could have been extensive. I am told there would have been media there at the opening of camp, and the kids would have been in a photo shoot on both the Monday and the Friday. Uniforms provided, and they are required to change into them for the shoot.

I was given two choices when they finally responded after I sent a follow up e-mail. I could withdraw my child and they would refund my money, or they could attempt to run the process and keep her behind the cameras. I asked how much filming would be going on - virtually continuously - and how she would be able to participate meaningfully in the program. He didn't have an answer for that.

Can you just see how much fun that would have been for her? OK...Youngest's turn for the drill...cameras off...., OK youngest, you can't do this drill till everyone is finished, and you don't have a partner cause we can't film you! Oh, and don't speak while we are filming either.....

Seems to me that this is more of a marketing event than a camp. The form was certainly designed to protect the marketing rights of the organisation with no concern for the rights of the children.

Sad.

She won't be attending.

I haven't had a chance to tell her that. SO looking forward to that conversation.

9 comments:

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Oh boy. But you have to stand up for what you think is right. She'll understand that (one day) and be proud of you. A hard lesson, but one that is designed to make her learn about ethics.

Beth said...

That's tough. I sure don't envy you!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I suspected as such. Well, you can always tell her "but if you don't mind them making money off of your good looks, then go ahead, I'll send you in it".

Teacher Mommy said...

Wow. But I think you're making the right choice. That release form had no limits whatsoever. Sounds like THEY should be paying YOU for the privilege of using your child as a model!

Anonymous said...

hey - there is a choice - that you could propose - you dont sign the form, and they can film away - but they have to make damn sure that they dont show her - and send you all fimms for approval before they release them - he he - it is even better - and i"m pretty sure they cant suggest to you to NOT be in the camp because of not signing the form??

mmichele said...

that last idea just might work. sucks that they are so bent on all the publicity.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Good grief. That's acting camp not basketball camp.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have signed it either. Good for you!

Makes you wonder the motive behind this camp. Sounds like they are more interested in filming and self promotion than in teaching children the love of the sport.

Anonymous said...

I think the camp is their recruiting center.
they need to find the kids young and willing and THE PARENTS PAY THE BILLS!
Saves them from having to send scouts out to high school games etc and they've got the films on which to make future decisions ABOUT WHO TO KEEP AN EYE ON! GM