Wednesday, September 23, 2009

TOMA! Math goddess for a moment!

Eldest and math are back together again, and OH so happy about it.

She has math homework every single day. Something I am most delighted about considering what was going on last year.

This also means that we are checking her math homework and reviewing questions with her every night.

Now, may I add, the man is freaking brilliant at math. Heck, he works out equations in the evenings for the entertainment value. I kid you not, I look over some night and he has this booklet out and a pencil and he's working away at them. NO idea what they are all about, but there it is. My Mom is also excellent at maths, my Dad and my sister both work with numbers. I liked math for a long time, but eventually reached a point (in grade 13) where I was confused.

I have always been the math dummy in the family. (not that pathetic, just the competition has been a mite fierce)

ANYWHO....

Eldest had one math problem that she couldn't figure out. I didn't get it at first and called in the big guns...."Honey, how does this go....."

Brace yourselves, cause I'm gonna do some wicked gloating here.....

I figured it out FIRST!!!!!

*happy dancing and general (rude)self-congratulatory hooting*

Da da da da DA DA!

okokokokok,

I know....how many does he get right and how many do I get right...nonetheless.!

Here it is, let's see what you can do.....answer provided later.

Find two different numbers taken to the same exponent, that when worked out, have an equal value.

Sooooo?

Good luck all...ask your teens who've done this math more recently, they may figure it out faster.

No googling allowed!

9 comments:

MaR said...

Any number, exponent zero = 1...

Beth said...

Hail to the goddess...

Since my head hurts (ha!) I was going to ask Sam at dinner but I see the answer is already provided!

Maybe I'll still ask him...

oreneta said...

Good Mar, there is another answer too....

hooray said...

I'm actually allergic to math! I break out in panic! :-)

Terrie said...

Robert also does math for fun while I can write you an essay about how much I hate math!

Beth said...

Congrats to you! Good job!!

I hate math, but can generally figure stuff out when I have to -helping the kids with homework, etc... In this regard I'm better off than my dh, who hates it AND can't do it well.
Here's the thing- I'd NEVER do a math problem for fun. I didn't even read the question. That's how much I hate numbers and everything they do. They are EVIL.
JMHO, of course.

oreneta said...

Beth....don't tell and ask him...one of the great things about math is that you get to play with it!

She...sorry to hear that...it can really be fun. (Though I don't do it for fun on a regular basis.)Though I just thought of another post....and another challenge.

Robert....good thing in a navigator!

Beth I have to confess I am not such a math phobe, and I do enjoy figuring out problems for the challenge of it...the man and I were struggling with one last year and came up with three different ways of working out the problem, and sadly, three different answers! Sometimes it does seem horribly arbitrary though.

The Bodhi Chicklet said...

Oh crap. A math question. I was and still am horrible at simple division. I dread the day my son starts more than simple arithmetic. You rule!

oreneta said...

Thank you very much
!!!!