Monday, January 16, 2012

How to avoid Alzheimer's

We can all be sure that my memory will be with me for at least a week longer after this evening's efforts.  The music group I go to to keep my Catalan in trim decided this was the week for a movie.  Lovely.  It was in French.  I have not thought in, spoken or meaningfully heard French in a very very long time, but I still can generally follow it.  Sorta kinda.

The subtitles were in Spanish, which as you heard, I can speak better than I thought I could.

The two languages, both of which I am not accomplished at at the moment, offered up simultaneously, and me trying to listen to one and read the other at the same time?

I could actually feel my brain creaking like a ship groaning in a seaway.

Eee gads.

It actually wasn't too bad after the first 20 minutes or so, as long as I didn't think about it. Then I was dead.

5 comments:

thecatalanway said...

Isn't it lovely that we can do this here! I used to long for more other language films when I was in the UK. I saw The Lives of Others in German with Spanish subtitles first and then in German with English subtitles. It is incredible how your brain adjusts but yes sometimes you can feel it creaking on rusty hinges.
A music group - that sounds great. More reasons to move to your village! K x

J.G. said...

Wow, I am impressed! Love your description of your brain as a creaky ship -- more evidence it is really working just fine.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Brain overload. Did you put it in the pool to cool it down afterwards? :).

kate said...

Yikes! Now that's a workout!

oreneta said...

Kate, there must be something like that there....heck, we have TWO choirs here....Catalans LOVE music. Ask around, I'll bet you'll find one. Check out the cultural centers. There must be some.

JG, so was I frankly, though my brain was tired by the end.

ElP...Wish I'd thought of that, I made it go and paint instead.

Kate...T'was something else, I imagine you can relate.