Saturday, April 6, 2019

Vecht muesum and bridgemaster

We went off to the Vechtstreek museum, which was fascinating.  They had two exhibits, one about mills, there was a miller who showed us around and explained things to us, he works in a flour mill, korenmolen... And the standing exhibit about the Vecht region.  Fortunately they had a reasonable amout of information in English.  I'm studying Dutch, but I am still at the childishly delighted stage of understanding a word or two.

This area had many large estates with fancy houses on them, many owned by Jews, often arriving out of Spain. They were banned from living in Utrecht, so settled here and appeared to have prospered. These small local museums are marvelous for helping us understand the region we're visiting.

Chuck and I went off for a walk, this part of the Netherlands is certainly friendly, I talked with another dog walker, a long chat with a bridgemaster, ranging through language learning, him maritime German and Russiam, me a bit of Dutch, to drug use in Urk, to the design of motorcycles.  We started talking as I was trying to read the sign on his door, I understood the first three words, but not the rest.  Then he appeared.  It was also my fault some boats had to wait quite a while for a bridge as we were chatting away.

*gulp*

Oops.

Got chatting with a group of university students as well who were here this evening with a choir to sing in the church.  We debated going briefly, but didn't in the end.  The tickets were quiet expensive.

Tomorrow is supposed to hit 20!!!!! I am more than a little excited!!!!!









No comments: