Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Oh yeah, Crested Grebe babies!!!

Totally forgot to talk about that, so the canal where we are now has a pair of grebes that hang out by where we're tied up.  I have to say, I've always seen birds, and knew the name of a lot of birds, and we've always had a bird book around,  but this trip is turning me into a full fledges (haha) birder.  My friend and colleague who I went to China with in January has just gotten into birds, and she told me about an app, Merlin.  Brilliant.  Today I saw common buzzards, Branr geese, Greylag geese, another one I couldn't recognize, Egyptioan geese with babies, Coots on nests, Moorhens and this pair of Crested Grebes.  I was heading down for a nap when the man mentioned that one of the pair had babies on his or her back, they share the dutues and there is no dimorfism, so, hard to tell.  I was nearly asleep so didn't look, but when I got up, they were still there!!!! Feeding wee little minnows to the babies!!!! I even saw them switching over, the babies could swim along.  Soooo cute.




No comments: