Sunday, May 3, 2009

Correfoc

Correr is to run, foc is fire in Catalan. That about sums it up.

I have written about it before here and here
and here and here Plus there is an album of photos you can check out on the right over there....

Despite all of that, I feel compelled to post a couple more photos. I tried to focus this year more on the people and less on the fireworks....

This is typical safety attire for fire runners, sorry it's blurry, but it is done after dark and no one is standing still....the kid is wearing jeans, socks, runners, a scarf over his face, a hoody, a baseball cap and a pair of safety goggles. Should be OK. ALL natural fibers. Plastics make a nasty skin fusion when they melt.


Someone in it...




I have to confess, I wouldn't have brought my baby. The camera makes it appear that they are closer to the sparks than they are, but NONETHELESS, it is not exactly a controlled environment.....right behind us, as in RIGHT behind us is the drumming band. A very loud very compelling drumming band reverberating off the walls. Talk about sensory overload. The baby was quite calm. She is about one.



The main correfoc got rained out this year, but the infantile one continued, yes, that would be kids running in fire.

For an adult this is almost more dangerous as the kids hold the fireworks pretty much at adult face level and the bang they make at the end is pretty much exactly at ear level.

One banged so close behind me I could feel the vibrations, like I had been shot. Of course with no pain or contact, but a bit of a start.....Youngest and I ran it this year, as in got in close enough to get under the sparks, as you can see from the photos. Eldest was too cool to wear the safety goggles and face scarf so had to stay back behind the band where it was safe.

7 comments:

Beth said...

I guess it's the combination of the beauty and the danger that makes the event so appealing.
Glad you made it through safely - you were rewarded with some great pictures!

Clark said...

Looks like a great time. I'd be dumb enough to try it -- once.

Carla said...

I think I would not make a good Catalan. I do not like fire, so that part of it would disturb my harmony. The community party, though, I would enjoy! LOL

Did you have fun?

Boo and Trev said...

Really- Catalans know how to party! No wonder the olympics in Barcelona were so good! (Oh God! Ours are going to be rubbish!)

swenglishexpat said...

How about ear plugs and an old umbrella? Would that help?

jax said...

lol, i keep missing this because i come in september normally...we should share some Cava next sept! oh and some calamari...i miss BCN.

oreneta said...

Beth, it is that I think, and the drums, they have drumming bands that go along with it, they are quite compelling.

CS, we didn't try it the first year, but waited till we understood how the game worked....

Carla, it was a blast. People who don't like fireworks would have a rough time here, you should have heard them last night with the Barça win...OMG

Boo and Trev, jejejejejeje....they do know how to party...so true.

Swedenglish, the ear plugs are a brilliant suggestions, the old umbrella....sensible, but.....

Jax...it is cool if you ever get the chance to go....thanks for dropping by.