Monday, August 27, 2007

Whinge

Feeling kind of blue...

One of the things that is rather a drag about coming back for the summers is the bad news. Two deaths, a cancer diagnosis, five friends with serious marital problems, a divorce..... problems with ex's, problems with schools.

I think it is that everyone is pleased to e-mail their good news to us, but saves the bad till we're here in person. It makes it a wee bit distressing sometimes. I brace myself now when I come back.

I don't know if you experienced this when you were younger, but there was a summer or two when you couldn't turn around for a wedding invitation. Seems I am entering the summers of divorce.

One friend has a theory that there are stages for women in marriage. Lust. Baby lust, dependency when the babies are small so you put up with most anything and are so sleep deprived you hardly notice. Then they get a little bit bigger, and your head comes up, you look around. Lust has worn off, baby lust is a distant dusty memory, and suddenly you look over your spouse and think, "I don't need to take this shit anymore..."

I don't feel that way, thank goodness, I'd be more than a bit blue if I did.

Feeling blue too because the house still isn't rented....

We aren't going to be able to bring the boat up from Florida this year, we just cannot afford it....

And damn it I miss being on the boat something fierce when I let myself think about it.....

Can't seem to get Grad school off the ground....

We are sort of betwixt and between, busy saying farewells, and have too much to do, but still a good bit till we go....

Then again (determined optimist here) we are healthy, happy, have each other and have a great life.

I'll stop my bitchin' now.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Even when "whingeing" your postitive spirit shines through. You are such a trooper.
Sounds like you're feeling "homesick" or nostalgic for so many places and things - another term for that is "getting older!"

Helen said...

Nic has something for you which might cheer you up - if she forgets it give her a prod and say where's my book.

oreneta said...

Beth: Thank you my dear....even if I am getting older...

Helen:I am looking forward to seeing Nic, although I am not going to be able to see her tomorrow night...:-(