Thursday, August 30, 2007

phones and fun and books to read....

The new phone is doing OK, I only hung up on one person so far...

We went and hung out in a park with a bunch of friends this evening, that was so much fun, I cannot remember the last time I did something like that, we played Boche, and croquet, and badminton, then Frisbee, all of which I am appalling at, there was lots of good food, and we had so much fun. Dogalicious was pretty hungry and worn out by the end of it though.

We spent the bulk of the day packing because it seems that we have the house rented out Thank God and the occupancy date is TOMORROW! Today (Friday) if your reading this at work, so we had to get E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. that we were storing into the house NOW. The only problem is that I am pretty sure that we are not going to be able to make everything we want to bring to Spain with us fit in the box. Hmmmmm.

This could be a problem.

I'm working on it though.

Packing also makes Chuck very very nervous and edgy, he wanders around like someone has just beaten him and is going to again very soon. Poor dog. Someday he'll get used to it.

I also went and exchanged "The Kite Runner" which I will be eternally haunted by, for another book. What a lovely task.

We went to The Flying Dragon, one of the world's best bookstores on the planet. I would love to LIVE there. The people are so nice and helpful and in love with books, and there are comfortable places to sit, and the books are fantastic, it is such a lovely lovely spot. If your in Toronto, it is on Bayview south of Eglington on the East side, and their children's section is brilliant. The kid's section is actually most of the store, it would be more acurate to describe them as having an adult section. Love that place.

I picked up "Poets and Pahlevans" which I had never heard of before, by Marcello Di Cintio. It's subtitle is "a journey into the heart of Iran". The author is a writer (duh) and was a wrestler, and is fascinated by the Iranian/Persian cultural interest in poetry and wrestling, which are apparently tightly interwoven.

I started to read it in the car, and disciplined myself out of it, I have to save it for Spain, but oh I ache to read it.

I'll let you know more about the books later.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Great about renting your place.
Loved The Kite Runner.
Love that bookstore on Bayview.
And, yes, dogs react badly when they observe packing up. My dog has never gotten used to it.

Anonymous said...

Poetry and wrestling are two words I would never have guessed could be used in the same sentence.

Sounds like a fabulous bookstore I will have to go check it out.

oreneta said...

Beth: Never gotten used to it? Poor Chuck.

Trish: I agree with you about the poetry/wrestling combo, that is part of what is fascinating for me with this book. You have to go to Flying Dragon, it is the BEST.