Wednesday, August 22, 2007

PhD blues.

I went in today to find out about the PhD possibility.

Hmmmm

I have to be a full time student to get the funding, and for a PhD I have to be full time period. That means I have to be in Toronto. Do these people not have a concept of say, international studies?

Ah well. I'll have to look at a different route.

There are a few things I can look at.

What frustrates me is that Lesley University in Boston offers fantastic possibilities for highly regarded courses of study, but I cannot afford it, while the fully funded program in Toronto does not have the flexibility I require right now.

Damn.

I cannot see my way through this right now.

However, my sister said to me once that determination was my most defining characteristic - I still haven't figured out if that is entirely a good thing - but it does point out that I have usually achieved any goals I seriously set myself. This is gradually becoming one of them.

We'll see what happens.

One of the things I love about my work here is the challenge, the people I work with and with whom I get into contact are so bright and stimulating intellectually, I am forced to THINK and stretch and reach. I am forced to look at things a new way. I miss this when I am gone. That is part of why I am interested in doing graduate studies, aside from the obvious and mundane 'career advantage', although while I am sarcastic about that, it could open doors to more levels of work of that would provide that zing.

Eldest seems to be gradually on the mend. Thank goodness.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I hope that you're able to go ahead and make the phd effort. Then you can call yourself Dr. Oreneta and fool people who mistake you for a medical doctor.

Beth said...

I suspect you possess a "where there's a will, there's a way" personality - that PhD will come some day.

Glad to hear your eldest is on the mend.

Angel said...

go for it girl!!!! You will figure this out somehow, I KNOW you will....

Angel said...

oh, and I'm so glad that Eldest is getting better!

oreneta said...

DD: I know people from someparts of the worldwho have two PhD's and insist on being called Dr Dr (then their name) Weird eh?


Beth: Yup, If you really want to get something done, focus hard.

Beth: Thanks, I hope so. And thanks too, eldest seems to be continueing to be healthier