Monday, August 13, 2007

An accidental rant...and ice cream

I have been posed an interesting little ethical conundrum in the last few days, frankly much to my dismay. I am irritated at being forced into the situation, and I am now fairly sure what I am going to do about it.

It is one of those lovely 'damned if you do and damned if you don't and in fact damned if you do nothing, and damned if you try to slide out sideways' spots.

Charming!

I am annoyed at being placed here, as it was frankly stupid in the first place, and I am annoyed that what should have had absolutely nothing to do with me at all has sucked me in like a nasty little itty bitty black hole....

The joys.

On another note, I was reading "Rosie" by Anne Lamott, who also wrote "Bird by Bird: some instructions on writing and life" which was brilliant. Rosie was not. I got half way through, the main character was still swilling back too much booze, she had switched one boyfriend, the child had apparently aged three years, thought that was not apparent in any way but an increased lippiness.

One more scene of the Mom hung over in the morning, and bored and too butt lazy and stupid to get a life, and the kid fending for herself and was going to send me to tearing the book apart, slowly, page by painful page. I took it back to the library. Life is too short for crap books, so if you read this and loved it, I'd be fascinated to hear why, and if you haven't read it....Don't bother.

The plot is thin to stagnant; the main character is loathsome in her endless ennui; the child, who has the potential to rescue the book, and the scenes between the mother and child are the only thing worth reading, is poorly characterised so that there is no depth or change as she ages. The friends are flat, and while potentially interesting, are given too salutary a treatment.

Blech.

Whew.

This is turning into a bit of a rant isn't it.

My evening was actually quite lovely, we all went for a walk with the dog for an hour and hit a Baskin and Robbins and got the girls some ice cream, walked by some lovely houses, saw a scarab beetle flying....it was wonderful. I love those sort of simply pleasures.

Hope you had a lovely evening too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! Well thanks for the heads up on that particular book...life is to short...ya'know?

Glad the rest of the evening went well. There is nothing like an ice-cream cone to set everything right with the world.

Joanne Vive la Fr said...

Hi - love ys - long time no blog reading - very busy after vacation (so what's the point of the vacation right?) hate moral dilemnas but have discovered from working at my current job - (surprise surprise - but i mean it ad it is why i like working there) that ALWAYS in that situation the best thing to do is look inside your heart/soul and feel what is the RIGHT thing to do - in the total fairy tale, Harry Potter, Narnia sense of that word - and to DO THAT. Always turns out for the best - and besides that - you feel best too.
Love you - hope that is not totally useless as I have no idea what your dilemna is in the first place. Say hi to all from me - thinking about camp and how cool that must be for them!!

oreneta said...

Trish: Yup, I appreciate a review of a crap book too, and maybe we could do something with that ice cream idea, maybe an e-mail to the UN?

Joanne: That's basically the plan....not useless at all, though still tricky.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Rosie. Awful. But an accurate reflection of the author.